Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com> on 2007/03/27 23:56:54 UTC

[Fwd: Subversion 1.1 vs. 1.4]

Hi All,

See below an e-mail I received from $manager at $work.  The existing
server was setup when 1.1 _was_ actually released.  These will be
entirely new repositories and will need custom hooks et al.

Also, we will want viewvc, svnmailer+mysqlbonsai like interface.
I'd actually picture it looking at lot like ASF's layout with some
custom tweaks.

I can think of lots of reasons, but none that manager types will
actually let stand up.

BTW, he doesn't care that its no longer supported to run 1.1.x

Can anyone help out here ?  I have a deadline of COB tomorrow to come
with these.

 >My five minutes of poking around the release notes & the like doesn't
 >really turn up anything significant:
 >
 >http://subversion.tigris.org/svn_1.1_releasenotes.html
 >http://subversion.tigris.org/svn_1.2_releasenotes.html
 >http://subversion.tigris.org/svn_1.3_releasenotes.html
 >http://subversion.tigris.org/svn_1.4_releasenotes.html
 >
 >To throw it out there, what are the drawbacks of switching us over to
 >svn using the existing (1.1) server?

Philip M. Gollucci (philip.gollucci@ticketmaster.com) 310.360.2689
1024D/EC88A0BF 0DE5 C55C 6BF3 B235 2DAB  B89E 1324 9B4F EC88 A0BF

1024D/EC88A0BF 0DE5 C55C 6BF3 B235 2DAB  B89E 1324 9B4F EC88 A0BF

Work like you don't need the money,
love like you'll never get hurt,
and dance like nobody's watching.

Re: [Fwd: Subversion 1.1 vs. 1.4]

Posted by Ed Hillmann <ed...@gmail.com>.
Look at http://viewvc.org/index.html

ViewVC requires Subversion 1.2 or later.  Using Subversion 1.1 won't
work with ViewVC.

So, if you're going to upgrade, you might as well get the latest.

Re: [Fwd: Subversion 1.1 vs. 1.4]

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
On 3/28/07, Philip M. Gollucci <pg...@p6m7g8.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> See below an e-mail I received from $manager at $work.  The existing
> server was setup when 1.1 _was_ actually released.  These will be
> entirely new repositories and will need custom hooks et al.
>
> Also, we will want viewvc, svnmailer+mysqlbonsai like interface.
> I'd actually picture it looking at lot like ASF's layout with some
> custom tweaks.
>
> I can think of lots of reasons, but none that manager types will
> actually let stand up.
>
> BTW, he doesn't care that its no longer supported to run 1.1.x
>
> Can anyone help out here ?  I have a deadline of COB tomorrow to come
> with these.

You'll miss out on a number of stability fixes which aren't explicitly
mentioned in the CHANGES file. We've become better with each release
at managing the memory bounds for the commit process. We're in the
process of releasing 1.4.4 which fixes a severe data-corruption bug.
Admitted, I'll backport it all the way to 1.1, but there's no timeline
for a new 1.1 release yet.

HTH,

Erik.