Posted to notifications@jclouds.apache.org by Andrea Turli <no...@github.com> on 2014/10/16 00:29:12 UTC

[jclouds-site] add softlayer getting started (#134)

You can merge this Pull Request by running:

  git pull https://github.com/andreaturli/jclouds-site feature/softlayer

Or you can view, comment on it, or merge it online at:

  https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/134

-- Commit Summary --

  * add softlayer getting started

-- File Changes --

    M guides/index.md (1)
    A guides/softlayer.md (150)
    M reference/providers.md (4)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/134.patch
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/134.diff

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/134

Re: [jclouds-site] add softlayer getting started (#134)

Posted by Andrea Turli <no...@github.com>.
> +
> +{% highlight java %}
> +// Get a context with softlayer that offers the portable BlobStore API
> +BlobStoreContext context = ContextBuilder.newBuilder("swift")
> +                 .credentials("tenantName:accessKey", "apiKey)
> +                 .endpoint("https://ams01.objectstorage.softlayer.net/auth/v1.0")
> +                 .buildView(BlobStoreContext.class);
> +
> +// Create a container in the default location
> +context.getBlobStore().createContainerInLocation(null, container);
> +
> +// Use the map interface for easy access to put/get things, keySet, etc.
> +context.createInputStreamMap(container).put("blob.txt", inputStream);
> +
> +// When you need access to hpcloud specific features, use the provider-specific context
> +HPCloudObjectStorageClient hpcloudClient =

sorry, refuse. Removed.

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/134/files#r18943498

Re: [jclouds-site] add softlayer getting started (#134)

Posted by Jeremy Daggett <no...@github.com>.
Interesting... How is this being generated if you changed the name? http://38953854b8ad48589760-7931cc549aa729925d8b0c50b00695c3.r71.cf5.rackcdn.com/guides/softlayer-cci/ ?

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/134#issuecomment-60419398

Re: [jclouds-site] add softlayer getting started (#134)

Posted by Jeremy Daggett <no...@github.com>.
> +
> +{% highlight java %}
> +// Get a context with softlayer that offers the portable BlobStore API
> +BlobStoreContext context = ContextBuilder.newBuilder("swift")
> +                 .credentials("tenantName:accessKey", "apiKey)
> +                 .endpoint("https://ams01.objectstorage.softlayer.net/auth/v1.0")
> +                 .buildView(BlobStoreContext.class);
> +
> +// Create a container in the default location
> +context.getBlobStore().createContainerInLocation(null, container);
> +
> +// Use the map interface for easy access to put/get things, keySet, etc.
> +context.createInputStreamMap(container).put("blob.txt", inputStream);
> +
> +// When you need access to hpcloud specific features, use the provider-specific context
> +HPCloudObjectStorageClient hpcloudClient =

Is this correct? I would think that `SwiftClient` should be here instead.

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/134/files#r18934749

Re: [jclouds-site] add softlayer getting started (#134)

Posted by jclouds-commentator <no...@github.com>.
  Go to http://66fb6d8c1416da45f253-2f5eba2fd4e17def7c936c60445d85b2.r42.cf5.rackcdn.com/ to review your changes.

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/134#issuecomment-59323601

Re: [jclouds-site] add softlayer getting started (#134)

Posted by Andrea Turli <no...@github.com>.
@jdaggett do you think it is good to merge it?

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/134#issuecomment-59516058

Re: [jclouds-site] add softlayer getting started (#134)

Posted by Andrea Turli <no...@github.com>.
@jdaggett yeah maybe it is less confusing, thanks!

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/134#issuecomment-59572197

Re: [jclouds-site] add softlayer getting started (#134)

Posted by Andrea Turli <no...@github.com>.
> +api.getVirtualGuestApi();
> +api.getDatacenterApi();
> +api.getSoftwareDescriptionApi();
> +api.getVirtualGuestBlockDeviceTemplateGroupApi();
> +api.getAccountApi();
> +
> +// Be sure to close the context when done
> +computeServiceContext.close();
> +{% endhighlight %}
> +
> +## SoftLayer Object Storage
> +SoftLayer Object Storage is an OpenStack® based blobstore storage system.
> +
> +{% highlight java %}
> +// Get a context with softlayer that offers the portable BlobStore API
> +BlobStoreContext context = ContextBuilder.newBuilder("swift")

Not sure about it, @everett-toews

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/134/files#r22850062

Re: [jclouds-site] add softlayer getting started (#134)

Posted by Andrew Gaul <no...@github.com>.
> +api.getVirtualGuestApi();
> +api.getDatacenterApi();
> +api.getSoftwareDescriptionApi();
> +api.getVirtualGuestBlockDeviceTemplateGroupApi();
> +api.getAccountApi();
> +
> +// Be sure to close the context when done
> +computeServiceContext.close();
> +{% endhighlight %}
> +
> +## SoftLayer Object Storage
> +SoftLayer Object Storage is an OpenStack® based blobstore storage system.
> +
> +{% highlight java %}
> +// Get a context with softlayer that offers the portable BlobStore API
> +BlobStoreContext context = ContextBuilder.newBuilder("swift")

I am fairly sure that SoftLayer should work with the modern openstack-swift provider -- can we check this before merging?

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/134/files#r40135757

Re: [jclouds-site] add softlayer getting started (#134)

Posted by Andrea Turli <no...@github.com>.
hi @jdaggett do yo think it is time to merge that?

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/134#issuecomment-69171874

Re: [jclouds-site] add softlayer getting started (#134)

Posted by CloudBees pull request builder plugin <no...@github.com>.
[jclouds-site-pull-requests #428](https://jclouds.ci.cloudbees.com/job/jclouds-site-pull-requests/428/) SUCCESS
This pull request looks good

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/134#issuecomment-60421809

Re: [jclouds-site] add softlayer getting started (#134)

Posted by jclouds-commentator <no...@github.com>.
  Go to http://d89bcdbf5c7be57295bf-c6b8c615fe3564655ff367f2d0372343.r27.cf5.rackcdn.com/ to review your changes.

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/134#issuecomment-142328482

Re: [jclouds-site] add softlayer getting started (#134)

Posted by Everett Toews <no...@github.com>.
@andreaturli The next release is out. ;) I'll leave this one up to you.

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/134#issuecomment-89337328

Re: [jclouds-site] add softlayer getting started (#134)

Posted by Andrea Turli <no...@github.com>.
> +api.getVirtualGuestApi();
> +api.getDatacenterApi();
> +api.getSoftwareDescriptionApi();
> +api.getVirtualGuestBlockDeviceTemplateGroupApi();
> +api.getAccountApi();
> +
> +// Be sure to close the context when done
> +computeServiceContext.close();
> +{% endhighlight %}
> +
> +## SoftLayer Object Storage
> +SoftLayer Object Storage is an OpenStack® based blobstore storage system.
> +
> +{% highlight java %}
> +// Get a context with softlayer that offers the portable BlobStore API
> +BlobStoreContext context = ContextBuilder.newBuilder("swift")

Thanks @everett-toews, sorry for my belated answer, but I'm not getting notifications from this thread, not sure why.

I'm not totally familiar with `SwiftAuthenticatioMode` but I'm happy to update this guide as soon as the next jclouds release will be out!

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/134/files#r23374535

Re: [jclouds-site] add softlayer getting started (#134)

Posted by Andrea Turli <no...@github.com>.
@jdaggett can we close that?

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/134#issuecomment-60057592

Re: [jclouds-site] add softlayer getting started (#134)

Posted by Everett Toews <no...@github.com>.
Thanks for the pull request but it's release week in jclouds and that means it's time to clean up the PR queue. This PR will be over 6 months old as of April 1. If you intend to continue work on it, please make a comment by April 2. Otherwise it will be closed on April 3.

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/134#issuecomment-85720981

Re: [jclouds-site] add softlayer getting started (#134)

Posted by Andrea Turli <no...@github.com>.
I think we can merge it now, and address the comments on swift when it will be removed. Thoughts?

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/134#issuecomment-142332117

Re: [jclouds-site] add softlayer getting started (#134)

Posted by jclouds-commentator <no...@github.com>.
  Go to http://ee8e0296737d64dbf61d-945673528002d63806ace590c004f864.r36.cf5.rackcdn.com/ to review your changes.

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/134#issuecomment-69171808

Re: [jclouds-site] add softlayer getting started (#134)

Posted by CloudBees pull request builder plugin <no...@github.com>.
[jclouds-site-pull-requests #410](https://jclouds.ci.cloudbees.com/job/jclouds-site-pull-requests/410/) SUCCESS

https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/134#issuecomment-59323473

Re: [jclouds-site] add softlayer getting started (#134)

Posted by CloudBees pull request builder plugin <no...@github.com>.
[jclouds-site-pull-requests #414](https://jclouds.ci.cloudbees.com/job/jclouds-site-pull-requests/414/) SUCCESS

https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/134#issuecomment-59572210

Re: [jclouds-site] add softlayer getting started (#134)

Posted by Andrea Turli <no...@github.com>.
> -            <td></td>
> +            <td>SG,US-CA,US-TX,US-VA,US-WA,NL,HK,NSFTW-IL,AU,CA-ON,GB</td>

great idea! thanks

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/134/files#r18943488

Re: [jclouds-site] add softlayer getting started (#134)

Posted by CloudBees pull request builder plugin <no...@github.com>.
[jclouds-site-pull-requests #409](https://jclouds.ci.cloudbees.com/job/jclouds-site-pull-requests/409/) SUCCESS

https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/134#issuecomment-59287417

Re: [jclouds-site] add softlayer getting started (#134)

Posted by Andrea Turli <no...@github.com>.
Merged #134.

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/134#event-416676077

Re: [jclouds-site] add softlayer getting started (#134)

Posted by Everett Toews <no...@github.com>.
> +api.getVirtualGuestApi();
> +api.getDatacenterApi();
> +api.getSoftwareDescriptionApi();
> +api.getVirtualGuestBlockDeviceTemplateGroupApi();
> +api.getAccountApi();
> +
> +// Be sure to close the context when done
> +computeServiceContext.close();
> +{% endhighlight %}
> +
> +## SoftLayer Object Storage
> +SoftLayer Object Storage is an OpenStack® based blobstore storage system.
> +
> +{% highlight java %}
> +// Get a context with softlayer that offers the portable BlobStore API
> +BlobStoreContext context = ContextBuilder.newBuilder("swift")

>From looking at [Auth Endpoints](http://sldn.softlayer.com/article/Introduction-Object-Storage#Authentication_Endpoints) it seems clear it's TempAuth only.

These instructions really shouldn't be written based on deprecated code. We really don't need another thing blocking us from removing `"swift"`.

The proper thing to do here is to update the instructions to use the [SwiftAuthenticationModule](http://jclouds-javadocs.elasticbeanstalk.com/org/jclouds/openstack/swift/v1/config/SwiftAuthenticationModule.html)

    When KeystoneProperties.CREDENTIAL_TYPE is set to tempAuthCredentials, do not use Keystone. Instead, bridge TempAuth to Keystone by faking a service catalog out of the storage url. The endpoint must be set to the TempAuth url, usually ending in auth/v1.0/.

Unfortunately that will only be in the next release.

I propose we remove Object Storage from this particular PR and update this guide with the SwiftAuthenticationModule when the next version of jclouds is released.

The alternative is to leave it as is (basically recommending users to use deprecated code) and update this guide with the SwiftAuthenticationModule when the next version of jclouds is released.

Your call @andreaturli

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/134/files#r23169800

Re: [jclouds-site] add softlayer getting started (#134)

Posted by Jeremy Daggett <no...@github.com>.
> -            <td></td>
> +            <td>SG,US-CA,US-TX,US-VA,US-WA,NL,HK,NSFTW-IL,AU,CA-ON,GB</td>

Wow, now there is a list of ISO codes! I wonder if you can add an `<p/>` tag right after `US-WA` to split it into two lines.  ?

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/134/files#r18934692

Re: [jclouds-site] add softlayer getting started (#134)

Posted by Jeremy Daggett <no...@github.com>.
@andreaturli One last thing! I would suggest naming `softlayer-cci` just `softlayer` for all references in this PR. WDYT?

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/134#issuecomment-59525054

Re: [jclouds-site] add softlayer getting started (#134)

Posted by CloudBees pull request builder plugin <no...@github.com>.
[jclouds-site-pull-requests #412](https://jclouds.ci.cloudbees.com/job/jclouds-site-pull-requests/412/) SUCCESS

https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/134#issuecomment-59330796

Re: [jclouds-site] add softlayer getting started (#134)

Posted by jclouds-commentator <no...@github.com>.
  Go to http://38a1978b0178d686f80d-7e234dfdb2a13218b9e9179aca636b27.r31.cf5.rackcdn.com/ to review your changes.

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/134#issuecomment-59287587

Re: [jclouds-site] add softlayer getting started (#134)

Posted by Andrew Gaul <no...@github.com>.
> +
> +## SoftLayer Object Storage
> +SoftLayer Object Storage is an OpenStack® based blobstore storage system.
> +
> +{% highlight java %}
> +// Get a context with softlayer that offers the portable BlobStore API
> +BlobStoreContext context = ContextBuilder.newBuilder("swift")
> +                 .credentials("tenantName:accessKey", "apiKey)
> +                 .endpoint("https://<locationId>.objectstorage.softlayer.net/auth/v1.0")
> +                 .buildView(BlobStoreContext.class);
> +
> +// Create a container in the default location
> +context.getBlobStore().createContainerInLocation(null, container);
> +
> +// Use the map interface for easy access to put/get things, keySet, etc.
> +context.createInputStreamMap(container).put("blob.txt", inputStream);

We removed the `InputStreamMap` support long ago.

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/134/files#r40135781

Re: [jclouds-site] add softlayer getting started (#134)

Posted by jclouds-commentator <no...@github.com>.
  Go to http://f0fd9d0b18ad28b248fd-c8b646a863aa775cbfad159817781667.r75.cf5.rackcdn.com/ to review your changes.

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/134#issuecomment-59330897

Re: [jclouds-site] add softlayer getting started (#134)

Posted by jclouds-commentator <no...@github.com>.
  Go to http://e61d44811d8a6f16195e-fb06c96673b155ddfb70752580ba1b03.r39.cf5.rackcdn.com/ to review your changes.

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/134#issuecomment-60421964

Re: [jclouds-site] add softlayer getting started (#134)

Posted by jclouds-commentator <no...@github.com>.
  Go to http://38953854b8ad48589760-7931cc549aa729925d8b0c50b00695c3.r71.cf5.rackcdn.com/ to review your changes.

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/134#issuecomment-59572397

Re: [jclouds-site] add softlayer getting started (#134)

Posted by Everett Toews <no...@github.com>.
> +api.getVirtualGuestApi();
> +api.getDatacenterApi();
> +api.getSoftwareDescriptionApi();
> +api.getVirtualGuestBlockDeviceTemplateGroupApi();
> +api.getAccountApi();
> +
> +// Be sure to close the context when done
> +computeServiceContext.close();
> +{% endhighlight %}
> +
> +## SoftLayer Object Storage
> +SoftLayer Object Storage is an OpenStack® based blobstore storage system.
> +
> +{% highlight java %}
> +// Get a context with softlayer that offers the portable BlobStore API
> +BlobStoreContext context = ContextBuilder.newBuilder("swift")

Is there a version of Softlayer Object Storage that would work with `"openstack-swift"`?

`"swift"` is deprecated and scheduled to be remove in jclouds 2.0.

---
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-site/pull/134/files#r22688652