Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Matthew Rushton <mr...@yahoo.com> on 2009/10/22 00:35:13 UTC

Near Real Time

Hi,
  I'm investigating several search indexing options and solr looks great but I have a few questions I couldn't find answers to. To begin I don't think the near real time features of Lucene are a requirement to start but I do think it will be a requirement moving forward and I was curious as to the plans to incorporate NRT functionality in Solr. Is it on the road map? Any clue when they will get put in?
  Further without the NRT features present what's the closest I can expect to real time for the typical use case (obviously this will vary but the average deploy). One hour? One Minute? It seems like there are a few hacks to get somewhat close. Thanks so much.
-Matt

Re: Near Real Time

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.
On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 10:19 PM, George Aroush <ge...@aroush.net> wrote:
>> Depends a lot on the nature of the requests and the size of the index,
>> but one minute is often doable.
>> On a large index that facets on many fields per request, one minute is
>> probably still out of reach.
>
> With no facets, what index size is consider, in general, out of reach for
> NRT?  Is a 9GB index with 7 million records out of reach?  How about 3GB
> with 3 million records?  3GB with 800K records?  This is for 1 min. NRT
> setting.

With Solr 1.4, 1 min latencies should be doable in the scenarios above.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com

RE: Near Real Time

Posted by George Aroush <ge...@aroush.net>.
> >   Further without the NRT features present what's the closest I can
> > expect to real time for the typical use case (obviously this will vary
> > but the average deploy). One hour? One Minute? It seems like there are
> > a few hacks to get somewhat close. Thanks so much.
>
> Depends a lot on the nature of the requests and the size of the index,
> but one minute is often doable.
> On a large index that facets on many fields per request, one minute is
> probably still out of reach.

With no facets, what index size is consider, in general, out of reach for
NRT?  Is a 9GB index with 7 million records out of reach?  How about 3GB
with 3 million records?  3GB with 800K records?  This is for 1 min. NRT
setting.

Thanks.

-- George

Re: Near Real Time

Posted by Matthew Rushton <mr...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks, that's great to know.
-Matt

>   I'm investigating several search indexing options and solr looks great but I have a few questions I couldn't find answers to. To begin I don't think the near real time features of Lucene are a requirement to start but I do think it will be a requirement moving forward and I was curious as to the plans to incorporate NRT functionality in Solr. Is it on the road map? Any clue when they will get put in?

Yes NRT is definitely on the roadmap.
Solr already converted to using per-segment searching and field-cache
use (for sorting or function queries), so although it not "NRT", 1.4
is an improvement over 1.3 in some areas of NRT.

Re: Near Real Time

Posted by Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com>.