Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Michael Mealling <mi...@bailey.dscga.com> on 2001/01/30 01:57:41 UTC

xerces->java->jdbc->oracle and UTF-8 all the way....

Hi,
  I'm running into some issues with character encodings that I need some
advice on:

I have an Oracle 8i database that has its database character set
defined as UTF-8.

I have a servlet using jdk1.2 that takes some XML in, parses it
with Xerces and builds an Oracle query based on the xml. Somewhere
between parser.parse() and statement.executeQuery() the character
encoding gets switched to UTF-16. Does anyone have any advice for
getting the UTF-8 value of a node all the way through to a JDBC
query without letting Java get its grubby little String claws on it?

-MM

Michael Mealling	|      Vote Libertarian!       | www.rwhois.net/michael
Sr. Research Engineer   |   www.ga.lp.org/gwinnett     | ICQ#:         14198821
Network Solutions	|          www.lp.org          |  michaelm@netsol.com