Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> on 2014/10/01 19:30:36 UTC

"Powered By Apache" logo

Hi Folks,

As you may know, Apache Flex is part of the Apache Software Foundation,
which is a non-profit organization.  In order to celebrate The Apache
Software Foundation's 15th Anniversary and promote the ASF's more than 200
projects, Apache has launched an effort to get folks who use Apache
projects to note that by including one or more of the newly-designed
"Powered By Apache" logos on their websites, documentation, marketing
materials, etc.

Here is the link to the logo for Flex:
http://apache.org/foundation/press/kit/poweredBy/pb-flex.jpg
Guidelines for use are available here:
http://apache.org/foundation/press/kit/

Thank you in advance for helping raise awareness.  The net result, I hope,
would be increased donations to help support the infrastructure that Flex
uses, such as this mailing list and our web sites and source control
servers.

Alex Harui
Flex PMC Chair

Re: "Powered By Apache" logo

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.
On 02/10/14 10:38, Kessler CTR Mark J wrote:
> How about just having it say flex, since the word Apache is around the border?

I agree that the logo could be improved, and I've done some very quick
hackery to make three different versions:
http://people.apache.org/~tomc/newlogo/

What do people think of them ?

Tom

RE: "Powered By Apache" logo

Posted by Kessler CTR Mark J <ma...@usmc.mil>.
How about just having it say flex, since the word Apache is around the border?

-Mark

Re: "Powered By Apache" logo

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
Agreed, 1 looks the best.  Great job, Deepak!

Thanks,
Om

Re: "Powered By Apache" logo

Posted by Mark Kessler <ke...@gmail.com>.
I like #1 as well.  Having our name in helps for all the folks who don't
know the logo by itself.

Re: "Powered By Apache" logo

Posted by Mihai Chira <mi...@gmail.com>.
My vote's for #1 too

Re: "Powered By Apache" logo

Posted by Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com>.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur

RE: "Powered By Apache" logo

Posted by Neil Madsen <li...@cranialinteractive.com>.
+1 on #1

Re: "Powered By Apache" logo

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
I like #1 too.

Re: "Powered By Apache" logo

Posted by Deepak MS <me...@gmail.com>.
http://snag.gy/KVr1k.jpg

Re: "Powered By Apache" logo

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.

Re: "Powered By Apache" logo

Posted by Deepak MS <me...@gmail.com>.
No worries.
I'll compile all the changes raised in this thread and come up with 2 - 3
variations and then we can take it forward.

Cheers!

Re: "Powered By Apache" logo

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: "Powered By Apache" logo

Posted by Deepak MS <me...@gmail.com>.

Re: "Powered By Apache" logo

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: "Powered By Apache" logo

Posted by Deepak MS <me...@gmail.com>.
Agreed!

Re: "Powered By Apache" logo

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.
At this point it might be worth contacting press@apache.org
<ma...@apache.org> to get their view on the matter, as the

Re: "Powered By Apache" logo

Re: "Powered By Apache" logo

Posted by Dany Dhondt <ar...@mac.com>.
That's a difficult one. In the new design, the stars are aligned in the middle, but typographically, the old one is better because 'whitespace' (in this case blackspace) is distributed evenly.
You could try do to another tweak in the old design: rotate the stars so that their axe is perpendicular to the circle.

nice work!

Dany

Op 14-okt.-2014, om 06:48 heeft Deepak MS <me...@gmail.com> het volgende geschreven:

Re: "Powered By Apache" logo

Posted by Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com>.
On 10/14/2014 9:39 AM, Alex Harui wrote:
> Yes, they are currently “in violation”, but if we think it is a
> significant improvement (which I currently think it is), then I will
> petition the ASF to get approval.  So we’re just brainstorming ideas right
> now.

  Fair enough.  I prefer the more "Balanced / symmetrical" approach
myself too, but I don't know what the original design guidelines were.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur

Re: "Powered By Apache" logo

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: "Powered By Apache" logo

Posted by Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com>.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur

Re: "Powered By Apache" logo

Posted by Deepak MS <me...@gmail.com>.

Re: "Powered By Apache" logo

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: "Powered By Apache" logo

Posted by Deepak MS <me...@gmail.com>.
You are right. I had put a horizontal line wrt one of the star and tried to

Re: "Powered By Apache" logo

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.
Nice work!

Re: "Powered By Apache" logo