Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Tim Fleming <tf...@ids-software.com> on 2000/01/29 19:18:28 UTC

Personalization Server [was: RE: Happy to be wrong!]

I realize this is a bit off topic but it was touched on in the
message below.  If it generates enough interest we can move the
discussion elsewhere.

As the note below mentions, web sites are increasingly dynamic and
personalized.  The personalization is both explicit, where the user
can define the kinds of information they want to see, and implicit,
where server-based rules pick relevant content based on previous
requests, demographics (to the extent know), etc. of the user.  The
ATG Dynamo "Personalization Server" is an example that fills this
need.

Is there any interest in an open-source project to address this need?

Tim

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Tim Fleming wrote:

> I realize this is a bit off topic but it was touched on in the
> message below.  If it generates enough interest we can move the
> discussion elsewhere.
>
> As the note below mentions, web sites are increasingly dynamic and
> personalized.  The personalization is both explicit, where the user
> can define the kinds of information they want to see, and implicit,
> where server-based rules pick relevant content based on previous
> requests, demographics (to the extent know), etc. of the user.  The
> ATG Dynamo "Personalization Server" is an example that fills this
> need.
>
> Is there any interest in an open-source project to address this need?

There already is. The JetSpeed project (which now uses Cocoon!) is a
project to create portal-like solutions for web apps and it should
control those things.

Otherwise, the Turbine project should provide APIs for this.

True, one day Cocoon should merge with all these other web-app projects
or, at least, provide simple ways to operate together... but not until
Cocoon is finishing with SAX port and sitemap.

Or unless somebody comes up with a better idea, of course.

Stefano.