Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> on 2008/08/15 11:52:40 UTC

Release 1.3.1 was: Re: Next SCA release

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 2:16 PM, Simon Nash <na...@apache.org> wrote:

> ant elder wrote:
>

>> On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 11:10 AM, ant elder <ant.elder@gmail.com <mailto:
>> ant.elder@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>

>>    On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 9:27 AM, Simon Laws
>>    <simonslaws@googlemail.com <ma...@googlemail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>    <snip>
>>

>>        Re. JMS. I'm a little nervous about putting completely new
>>        function out in 1.3.1. <http://1.3.1.> JMS changes that fix
>>        deficiencies from 1.3 would be candidates though.
>>

>>    What is it that makes you nervous about adding the JMS changes?
>>  There are no "rules" about what should go into a release named 1.x
>>    as opposed to 1.x.x so i think its fine to add new function in a
>>    1.x.x style release. If the concern is that it may delay getting
>>    some critical fixes released then maybe we just need to coordinate
>>    1.3.1 and 1.3.2 releases?
>>    Doing releases based on the previous release tag is relatively easy
>>    as demonstrated by the 1.2.1 release. It takes minimal work to do
>>    and to review, it makes it easy to document the changes, its an easy
>>    way to get new function released, and it can be done by individuals
>>    instead of requiring lots of community help. As i just suggested on
>>    the "1.3 Washup, release process improvement" this seems like and
>>    easy way to RERO given the size of Tuscany these days.
>>
>>       ...ant
>>

>> I'll start making the 1.3.1 branch today and merge in and fixes from JIRAs
>> in Java-SCA-1.3.1. The main one outstanding is TUSCANY-2539 if anyone has
>> some time. I'll leave the JMS changes for the time being waiting a little
>> longer to see if there are any reasons why it should not go into 1.3.x.
>>
>>  I have completed the fix for TUSCANY-2531 now.  This needs to go into
> 1.3.1.  The fix passes a full build and I'll check it in later today.
>
>  Simon

Hi,

We are down to 3 issues related to 1.3.1.

TUSCANY-2534
   Ant you made a fix in trunk. Are you going to apply to 1.3.1?
TUSCANY-2514
    Ant you made a fix in trunk. Are you going to apply to 1.3.1?
TUSCANY-2542
   Looks like a stretch for 1.3.1

If we can get the first two closed out I think we can spin a release
candidate.

Regards

Simon

Re: Release 1.3.1 was: Re: Next SCA release

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 7:54 AM, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 7:31 AM, ant elder <an...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I tried a good selection of samples and demos and all is fine on the
>>> command line and in Tomcat. However we haven't solved all of the issues with
>>> WebSphere classloading. It seems that there some scenarios where the change
>>> to remove dependencies on xml-apis, xerces and xalan (TUSCANY-2534) causes
>>> other problems that I'm still investigating.
>>>
>>> Simon
>>>

>> With the additional fix to TUSCANY-2534 in r687572 the WS samples are
>> running fine in WebSphere for me, can you confirm this fixes it for you?
>>
>> The only issue i have left is running the Dave's ejb sample from
>> http://apache.markmail.org/message/rpjlc5iaal6neabj. This mostly doesn't
>> work for me getting a Java class verify error. It seems slightly
>> intermittent as it did work once but usually doesn't, converting the EJB
>> back to use the SCADomain API and it always works fine. I don't think this
>> is a blocker for 1.3.1
>>
>>    ...ant
>>

> Ok, am updating/compiling now. Will let you know shortly.
>
> Simon

Here's what I found for latest 1.3.1

calculator-webapp
   Tomcat 6 - Works out of the box
   WebSphere 6.1 - Works out of the box
calculator-ws-webapp
   Tomcat 6 - Works out of the box
   WebSphere 6.1 - Works out of the box
Dave's EJB app
   WebSphere 6.1 - Works out of the box

I wasn't expecting the EJB app to work as I've tried this combination before
to no avail. So maybe I'm seeing the same intermittent behaviour that you
are. I can try SCA Domain also and confirm that that works for me. On the
basis that we have a work round I suggest you roll RC1 and start a vote. We
can take a look at this possible node issue in slow time in trunk.

Dave, feel free to pitch in if ths sounds problematic.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Dan Becker <da...@gmail.com>.
ant elder wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 6:32 PM, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>wrote:

>>> There are some release artifacts for 1.3.1 available for review at
>>> http://people.apache.org/~antelder/tuscany/1.3.1-RC0/<http://people.apache.org/%7Eantelder/tuscany/1.3.1-RC0/>and a tag at
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tuscany/tags/java/sca/1.3.1-RC0/
>>>
>>> I'll leave this for a day or two to give time for any reviews and look at
>>> starting an RC1 release vote on say Wednesday.
>>>
>>>    ...ant
>>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I tried a good selection of samples and demos and all is fine on the
>> command line and in Tomcat. However we haven't solved all of the issues with
>> WebSphere classloading. It seems that there some scenarios where the change
>> to remove dependencies on xml-apis, xerces and xalan (TUSCANY-2534) causes
>> other problems that I'm still investigating.
>>
>> Simon
>>

> With the additional fix to TUSCANY-2534 in r687572 the WS samples are
> running fine in WebSphere for me, can you confirm this fixes it for you?
>
> The only issue i have left is running the Dave's ejb sample from
> http://apache.markmail.org/message/rpjlc5iaal6neabj. This mostly doesn't
> work for me getting a Java class verify error. It seems slightly
> intermittent as it did work once but usually doesn't, converting the EJB
> back to use the SCADomain API and it always works fine. I don't think this
> is a blocker for 1.3.1
>
>    ...ant

I've tried a number of samples related to Atom and HTTP bindings, etc.
It all seems to run for me. Also I did a clean and build, and it all
builds cleanly for me.

--
Thanks, Dan Becker

Re: Release 1.3.1 was: Re: Next SCA release

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

http://people.apache.org/~antelder/tuscany/1.3.1-RC0/ and a tag at