Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Dustin Amrhein <da...@yahoo.com> on 2008/06/25 20:31:07 UTC

SVN Commit 671127

In SVN commit 671127 the following public constructor to the AxisEngine was removed:

public AxisEngine(ConfigurationContext configContext) {}

I realize this constructor was an empty constructor, and it did nothing with the supplied ConfigurationContext argument, but it was still a public constructor. In the future, would it be possible that we deprecate such constructors/methods so that consumers of Axis2 have time to appropriately react?

Regards,

Dustin Amrhein

Re: SVN Commit 671127

Posted by Dustin Amrhein <da...@yahoo.com>.
Deepal,

Like I said, I see that the constructor was analogous to a no-arg constructor, but from an API standpoint it could cause issues. I don't think it is a huge deal that we add this one back, but I just wanted to request that we use deprecation in future changes like these. Thanks!

I agree with you that removing the constructor is wrong , however that
one is misleading. Thought it takes the ConfigurationContext it does
nothing , and other thing is all the methods in Axis2 engine is statics
, so creating a instance make no sense to me.

If you want I can add the constructor back ?

> In SVN commit 671127 the following public constructor to the
> AxisEngine was removed:
>
> public AxisEngine(ConfigurationContext configContext) {}
>
> I realize this constructor was an empty constructor, and it did
> nothing with the supplied ConfigurationContext argument, but it was
> still a public constructor. In the future, would it be possible that
> we deprecate such constructors/methods so that consumers of Axis2 have
> time to appropriately react?
>
> Regards,
>
> Dustin Amrhein

Deepal
http://blogs.deepal.org/

Re: SVN Commit 671127

Posted by Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dustin ,
I agree with you that removing the constructor is wrong , however that
one is misleading. Thought it takes the ConfigurationContext it does
nothing , and other thing is all the methods in Axis2 engine is statics
, so creating a instance make no sense to me.

If you want I can add the constructor back ?

> In SVN commit 671127 the following public constructor to the
> AxisEngine was removed:
>
> public AxisEngine(ConfigurationContext configContext) {}
>
> I realize this constructor was an empty constructor, and it did
> nothing with the supplied ConfigurationContext argument, but it was
> still a public constructor. In the future, would it be possible that
> we deprecate such constructors/methods so that consumers of Axis2 have
> time to appropriately react?
>
> Regards,
>
> Dustin Amrhein

Deepal