Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Michael Gentry <bl...@gmail.com> on 2016/03/30 13:28:28 UTC

CMP: Search/Validate

Since we had so much discussion on the tree view, I thought I'd stir things
up a bit more.  :-)

Since I'm not a fan of the popups, I'm thinking about something like this
for search/validate:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54311650/CayenneModelerPrototype/SearchAndValidate.png

I think ideally we would leave the search field in the upper right corner
and automatically show the search results/validation issues when the user
searches or has validation issues.  (And perhaps automatically close when
there is nothing to show.)  It is in a split view which can be resized, so
most of the time would not be taking up much space at all in the tree
view.  Could also reverse the positions, but I think on the bottom of the
tree view is a good place.

FWIW, part of the reason I'm anti-popup is I want this version of CM to
support multiple main windows.  You should be able to open many projects at
once.  I want the "popup" data to be in the window itself so there is no
confusion what window/project it is supporting.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

mrg

Re: CMP: Search/Validate

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
> I'm thinking about something like this
> for search/validate:
>
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54311650/CayenneModelerPrototype/SearchAndValidate.png

+1

> I think ideally we would leave the search field in the upper right corner
> and automatically show the search results/validation issues when the user
> searches or has validation issues.

+1

> I want this version of CM to
> support multiple main windows.  You should be able to open many projects at
> once.

+1

Re: CMP: Search/Validate

Posted by Michael Gentry <bl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ari,

I agree it would be nice to display validation errors in the UI (text
fields, etc), too, whenever we can do it reasonably.  Updating the
color/icon in the tree view is a great idea, too.

The biggest reason to have the search/validation in a list is to make it
easy to see them and quickly access them.  A typeahead dropdown for search
would be sweet, too, but even so, I think having a list of matches you can
quickly access again afterwards would be nice.  I don't see a reason why
you can't have both, and once you select an entry from the typeahead
dropdown, put all the matches in the search results tab in case it wasn't
the one you actually wanted.  I know from my personal usage patterns, I
search for a small substring and click through a few entities trying to
find the result I actually wanted from numerous matches.  Clicking through
them one-at-a-time helps me keep track of where I've looked, too.  Might
have to play around with a few designs.  At least with the FXML files, it
is relatively easy to change the UI around, especially when you have the
data behind it solved.

I'll do some thinking about putting the validations in the edit view at the
top, too.  I can see the value of that, especially with a longer validation
message.

Thanks,

mrg

Re: CMP: Search/Validate