Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Craig Raw <cr...@quirk.co.za> on 2004/10/06 18:43:54 UTC

HA-JavaMail: High-Availability JavaMail Transport

Not sure if this is of interest to the list, but this project has been recently created on
Sourceforge, and looks like an interesting implementation of a Javamail SMTP transport. Although
James has strengths elsewhere, I have always felt that its remote delivery performance was lacking
when compared to solutions such as Postfix and PowerMTA. This project claims to be significantly
faster than Sun's implementation. LGPL license.

http://ha-javamail.sourceforge.net/

Re: HA-JavaMail: High-Availability JavaMail Transport

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Craig Raw wrote:
> strengths elsewhere, I have always felt that its remote delivery
> performance was lacking when compared to solutions such as Postfix and
> PowerMTA. This project claims to be significantly faster than Sun's
> implementation. LGPL license.

It is a pretty cool project, though unfortunately it's not much but a
Javamail wrapper.  They pool a bunch of SMTP connections and provide
different strategies for how to distribute emails across those connections.

However the actual SMTP sending is done using standard JavaMail, i.e.,
they just wrap (and still are using) Sun's implementation.

There might be a little bit of benefit from this in terms of reusing
connections, but there isn't as huge a benefit as you might expect from
reading it.

--
Serge Knystautas
p. 301.656.5501