Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mirco Attocchi <am...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/17 09:17:39 UTC

Tomcat 6 and Windows 2003 -Xmx1024 Problem

Hi all,
from yesterday on two different server Windows 2003 R2 with Tomcat
6.0.18 running with -Xmx1024m, after a nightly restart, I've this
problem:

[2009-04-16 10:05:51] [info] Error occurred during initialization of VM
[2009-04-16 10:05:51] [info] Could not reserve enough space for object heap

And now Tomcat start only with -Xmx512m.

Seems due to an update from windows update. you know something about?

Thanks

Mirco Attocchi

Re: Tomcat 6 and Windows 2003 -Xmx1024 Problem

Posted by Daniele Gariboldi <da...@gmail.com>.
OK, I uninstalled KB956572 (with its dependent packages), and java is OK
again.
Thanks for your info.
Do you found out if someone opened already a ticket about this at sun ?
JVM should fix what microsoft update messed up.

Daniele

Posted by Mirco Attocchi <am...@gmail.com>.
as we can read here the problem seems to relate to this update
KB956572, I'll try to remove it.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&tid=291a2fa7-f325-430c-9261-e21c2709fa60&cat=en_US_56d1dd45-de9e-4fc5-9bc1-2d1d0de6daee〈=en&cr=US&sloc=&p=1

Mirco

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 11:05 PM, garidan <ga...@tele2.it> wrote:

> I have the same problem: just applied windows update to my windows 2003
> server and tomcat 6 doesn't start due to "Could not reserve enough space for
> object heap".
> I see a lot of free ram, and disk space, but the only way to start has been
> to lower -Xmx value.
>
> No clue to what happened, but it's surely related to last windows updates
> applied (malware removal tool?).
>

> Mirco Attocchi wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> > from yesterday on two different server Windows 2003 R2 with Tomcat
> > 6.0.18 running with -Xmx1024m, after a nightly restart, I've this
> > problem:
> >
> > [2009-04-16 10:05:51] [info] Error occurred during initialization of VM
> > [2009-04-16 10:05:51] [info] Could not reserve enough space for object
> > heap
> >
> > And now Tomcat start only with -Xmx512m.
> >
> > Seems due to an update from windows update. you know something about?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Mirco Attocchi

Mirco Attocchi

Re: java.io.IOException: Stream closed org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspWriterImpl.ensureOpen(JspWriterImpl.java:204) on forward while processing jsp:include

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Posted by Leonard Gestrin <Le...@markettools.com>.
Hello,
In my application I have servlet filter that handles error handling for runtime exceptions; when such exception happens, it forwards request to error page where user-frienldy error is presented.
It works fine for most of the cases, however, if runtime exception happens during processing of <jsp:include/> directive, I am getting various exceptions in the log  (depending on the location of <jsp:include/> with respect to other tags.)
These exceptions do not appear to cause any harm, however I was curious why are they happening in the first place. Is it illegal to forward request while processing "include"?  This is 6.x version of tomcat.

Caused by: java.io.IOException: Stream closed
                at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspWriterImpl.ensureOpen(JspWriterImpl.java:204)
                at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspWriterImpl.flushBuffer(JspWriterImpl.java:115)
                at org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.release(PageContextImpl.java:188)
                ... 45 more

Caused by: java.io.IOException: Stream closed
                at org.apache.jasper.runtime.BodyContentImpl.ensureOpen(BodyContentImpl.java:582)
                at org.apache.jasper.runtime.BodyContentImpl.write(BodyContentImpl.java:142)
                at org.apache.jasper.runtime.BodyContentImpl.write(BodyContentImpl.java:159)
                at org.apache.jsp.WEB_002dINF.jsp.projects_002dtab_002dcontainer_jsp._jspx_meth_stripes_005flayout_002dcomponent_005f1(projects_002dtab_002dcontainer_jsp.java:484)
                at org.apache.jsp.WEB_002dINF.jsp.projects_002dtab_002dcontainer_jsp._jspx_meth_stripes_005flayout_002drender_005f0(projects_002dtab_002dcontainer_jsp.java:138)
                at org.apache

RE: JSPwriterImpl generates IO exception while processing that gets forwarded.

Posted by Leonard Gestrin <Le...@markettools.com>.
Hi Martin,
The filter is just a pass through to application code - it only gets to work if there is runtime exception coming back from processing request.

ErrorHandlerFilter  is mapped to REQUEST, FORWARD, INCLUDE

It has

Try{
    filterChain.doFilter(request, response);
} catch (throwable th){
///   ..process th. (setting some attributes in requests for presentation in errorPage.jsp
   request.getRequestDispatcher("errorPage.jsp").forward(
                request,
                response);
}

Example execution path where the issue happens is the following

Browser-> servletX->forward to result.sp; on result.jsp there is <jsp:include "someServlet"/>  and "someServlet" throws runtime.

I hope it makes sense :)

Thanks

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=restaurants&form=MLOGEN&publ=WLHMTAG&crea=TXT_MLOGEN_Local_Local_Restaurants_1x1

RE: JSPwriterImpl generates IO exception while processing that gets forwarded.

Posted by Leonard Gestrin <Le...@markettools.com>.
I have servlet filter that is invoked ahead of any application code that catches all unhandled exceptions, and then it forwards request to appropriate page depending on the exception.

I am indeed doing requestDispatcher.forward() and I set attributes on the request that are later used in custom error jsp for presentation.

It seems to work fine for all the cases so far except with <jsp:include "someservlet/> where someservlet generates runtime exception. (the browser does get the right error page, but exceptions are logged from tomcat).

I will experiment with using response.sendError() although it's not clear how to pass information back to the page (it appears I can only send a message) , such as stack trace, timestsamp of error, etc. I guess I can cramp it into message and parse it back in the page, but It does not feel right.
 I also think that I might be in danger of getting IllegalStateException since it's possible that some info can be already written back to the client. Lets say, I have multiple <jsp:include "servlet1/>, <jsp:include "servlet2/>, and second include generated runtime exception - I suspect this might resolve in IllegalStateException during sendError() although i haven't tested it yet.

Thank you for your responses;

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by garidan <ga...@tele2.it>.

Posted by Daniele Gariboldi <da...@gmail.com>.
OK, I found the hotfix by microsoft:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;971812 microsoft
hotfix

Thank to this page, related to a JVM problem in Lotus Domino:
http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security.nsf/854fa02b4f5013678825731a007d06af/8ea1593f1d1fcee68025759a003d8403?OpenDocument
Lotus Domino JVM cannot start

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Dan Armbrust [mailto:daniel.armbrust.list@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Tomcat 6 and Windows 2003 -Xmx1024 Problem
>
> Something else on your OS is using more RAM that it was previously.

You're confusing RAM and virtual space - decidedly different entities.

> The JVM will only start if it can reserve a contiguous block of RAM as
> large as you request.

Not true; the JVM cares little about the installed RAM.  The heap (including PermGen) must fit into a  contiguous area of process virtual space; it can be scattered all over RAM, due to paging.

> I'd be rather surprised if you needed to go all the way down to 512
> before it would start, however.

That part is true.

> See what else is using memory on the server.

The problem is not what else is using memory on the server, but what is consuming virtual space within the Tomcat process.

The problem can also occur if the swap file is too small to hold all process spaces, but this would usually manifest itself in multiple processes failing to start.

 - Chuck

Re: Tomcat 6 and Windows 2003 -Xmx1024 Problem

Posted by Dan Armbrust <da...@gmail.com>.
Something else on your OS is using more RAM that it was previously.

The JVM will only start if it can reserve a contiguous block of RAM as
large as you request.

I'd be rather surprised if you needed to go all the way down to 512
before it would start, however.

See what else is using memory on the server.

Dan