Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org> on 2014/10/08 12:38:40 UTC

Minor change to the versioning scheme

Hi guys,

I noticed that we are doing the versioning of release a bit differently
than most other projects.
What we do differently is the numbering of major releases.
Let me explain ...
... our initial release are numbered like this:
0.5
0.6
0.7

Our bugfix releases are:
0.5.1
0.6.1
0.6.2 ..etc.

I suggest to call the initial major releases
0.7.0
0.8.0 and so on.

What is the advantage of this?
--> The names of our branches.
I would suggest to have a branch for each major-release-tree that is called
"release-0.x"
>From this branch, we create the initial release and all subsequent bugfix
releases.

It will be easier for users to understand how we name our branches if we
follow this approach, because all 3-digit branches are released versions,
2-digit branches are work in progress

I hope my little ascii-art-picture arrives properly at your side ;)

--------master------------------------------------------ <--- bugfixes and
features here.
             \                        \
              \                      release-0.7------  <--- 0.7 bugfixes
go here
               \                             \
                \                           release-0.7.1
                 --- release-0.6-----------------------  <--0.6 bugfixes go
here
                           \                       \
                           release-0.6.0    release-0.6.1 <--immutable
release tags.

If we all agree on this, I'll document it on the website.

Re: Minor change to the versioning scheme

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.
Seems like the picture is broken, here is a better version:
https://gist.github.com/rmetzger/284f23cc52331b893927

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: Minor change to the versioning scheme

Posted by Till Rohrmann <ti...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Ufuk Celebi <uc...@apache.org>.
+1