Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org> on 2001/09/06 17:48:46 UTC

[Xerces2] Outstanding Bugs

Now's a perfect time for people to start getting more involved
in the development of Xerces2. The Sun guys are doing a good
job of fixing some of the bugs. So where's everyone else? ;)

I'd like to get all of the outstanding Xerces2 bugs resolved
or closed out. A number of them were opened against the alpha
release and are probably fixed now -- but they haven't been
verified.

So, does someone have some time to go through the open bugs
entered against Xerces2 and verify that they're legitimate
bugs or or no longer a problem?

Re: [Xerces2] Outstanding Bugs

Posted by Edwin Goei <ed...@sun.com>.
Andy Clark wrote:

> I'd like to get all of the outstanding Xerces2 bugs resolved
> or closed out. A number of them were opened against the alpha
> release and are probably fixed now -- but they haven't been
> verified.

There is a bug #2298 that I would like to fix by copying the source for
the javax.xml.parsers package from xml-commons.  Ideally, the SAX and
DOM code should also be copied from there.  This requires changing the
build.xml file.  See my previous thread on "Copying source from
xml-commons".  (I can't seem to find it in the archives at
marc.theaimsgroup.com.)

The fundamental problem is that we have java classes that are used in
multiple projects: Xerces2, Xerces1, Xalan, Crimson, plus there is a
copy in xml-commons.  It becomes difficult to keep the sources in sync
whenever a change is made.

As a first step, I would start by copying the javax code and then later
copy the SAX and DOM code from xml-commons.  As I understand it, Xerces
implements DOM L3 draft APIs so there may be some additional issues
there.

I've already prototyped a build for crimson.  The end result would be
that developers would need to have a sibling xml-commons tree checked
out parallel to xml-xerces.  Comments?

I will post a proposal for the exact changes to the build.xml file
later.

-Edwin

Re: [Xerces2] Outstanding Bugs

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>.
Anthony Green wrote:
> On a related note, is there a testsuite for any of this?  I'm relatively new
> to Xerces, and have been using it in native shared library form (compiled with
> gcj -- see http://sources.redhat.com/rhug).  I can run the various sample
> programs, but it would be nice if there was something more.

Looks like you just volunteered. Thanks! :)

Re: [Xerces2] Outstanding Bugs

Posted by Anthony Green <gr...@redhat.com>.
Andy wrote:
> Now's a perfect time for people to start getting more involved
> in the development of Xerces2. The Sun guys are doing a good
> job of fixing some of the bugs. So where's everyone else? ;)

On a related note, is there a testsuite for any of this?  I'm relatively new
to Xerces, and have been using it in native shared library form (compiled with
gcj -- see http://sources.redhat.com/rhug).  I can run the various sample
programs, but it would be nice if there was something more.

Thanks!

AG