Posted to c-dev@axis.apache.org by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@yahoo.com> on 2004/11/15 06:00:36 UTC

Do we need to keep LibWWW transport updated

Hi All,
    I have done some major improvements to axis2 transport over the past couple of weeks (e.g.
cookie support and keep alive support etc.)

    I did not update the LibWWW transport in line with those changes.
    I feel that it is a burden to keep updating LibWWW based transport as well (unless someone
voulenteers to do so)

    Hence I have assumed we are only using axis2 transport from 1.4 onwards. Is that fair enough?
Thanks,
Samisa...

Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
www.yahoo.com

Re: Do we need to keep LibWWW transport updated

Posted by Roshan Weerasuriya <ro...@opensource.lk>.
+1.

But if any one needs it then some one could voulenteer to do it.

Roshan

Posted by Damitha Kumarage <da...@opensource.lk>.
Hi,
+1 for keeping informatin about modules documented somewherer. But
ws-axis/c is not a place for such documents. It is already cluttered with
lot of things. I suggest to put this in the doc folder

tbanks
damitha

Posted by John Hawkins <HA...@uk.ibm.com>.

+1 for complete removal.

Old code is wat repository histories are there for!

If someone wants to bring back the code then the chances are they'll have
to do work to get it going again anyway because of code changes.

Samisa brings out the biggest issue for me which is the code trail that
gets left behind e.g. SSL options in WSDL2Ws. As this product grows and
grows we need to ensure we keep it as clean as possible. Old code only adds
complexity and does no one any favours.

John Hawkins

             Samisa Abeysinghe
             <samisa_abeysingh
                                       Apache AXIS C Developers List
             22/11/2004 10:52          <ax...@ws.apache.org>
                                                                        cc

              "Apache AXIS C           Re: Do we need to keep LibWWW
             Developers List"          transport updated

> If there are bugs accumulating on an unsupported module, that means that
> somebody finding bugs on it, and means somebody trying to use it. So he
> can volunteer to fix these bugs.

That also means that someone is using a buggy component and we may have to
instruct them (often
repeatedly) that there is a bug in that so use the other. So it is *extra*
burden.

It would be so nice if those who find bugs fix those themselves. But how
real is that? Often
problems are rerported, but not solutions.

The danger of keeping the deprecated stuff is that after some time, we will
have smelly code. Like
the one happened to old SSL implementation. Not only it had to be removed,
but also there are some
parts of the code where the scars are still left - e.g. WSDL tool, secure
param in Call class
methods etc. So now we have to clean them all - this is a maintanance
headache.

Yet another example. SimpleAxisServer was outdated with new transport
abstraction layer. When I
was fixing it, the old code wasted more than two days of mine - as it was
so outdated. I finally
wrote all from scratch.

So my experiance is, more often than not, outdated stuff waste time.

Samisa...

--- Damitha Kumarage <da...@opensource.lk> wrote:

> Hi Samisa,
> I think you did not get what I suggested earlier.
> What we are using by default is xercesc parser axis2 transport etc. that
> is fine. But what I suggest is that we keep the modules in the cvs as
> source. But remove them from the build files. For example we dont' build
> expat by default. We don't build libwww by default in the make build. But
> I don't agree removing them from cvs source as well.
>
> And we keep a document in the docs folder called modules.html(for
example)
> and there keep a record of supported and unsuppored modules(as sanjaya
> suggested) In our distributions we don't give expat or libwww(or any
> unspported module) until somebody actively involve working on a currently
> unsupported module.
>
> If there are bugs accumulating on an unsupported module, that means that
> somebody finding bugs on it, and means somebody trying to use it. So he
> can volunteer to fix these bugs. Accumulating bugs on an unsupported
> module and not fixing it immediately is not a problem. Our aim is not to
> keep jira clean of bug reports(I guess). Our aim of keeping Jira is as a
> good informationa source(I guess)
>
> thanks
> damitha
>

> > Considering that Xerces is less buggy and stable, and that Xerces is
from
> > Apache and Expat is not,
> > I preffer Xerces.
> > Additionally, now that we are going to have a TSPP, we are less likely
> > use Expat.
> >
> > So I am for the removal of Expat based lib, provided that there are
couple
> > of bugs in Expat based
> > lib that were not being attended by any one for some time. Either
should
> > fix them or get rid of
> > Expat based lib if we do not have people willing to maintain that lib.
> >
> > (we should minimize bugs hanging in Jira without being fixed and if the
> > bugs are related to less
> > used components for which we have better alternatives, always better to
> > get rid of them - else
> > time and effort spent on those are wasted.)
> >
> > Samisa...
> >
> > --- sanjaya singharage <sa...@opensource.lk> wrote:
> >
> >> Yes I noticed. If we choose to let that be, what shall be done with
> >> XMLParserExpat?
> >>
> >> sanjaya.

Developers

<ax...@ws.apache.org>

> >> LibWWW

> >> know
> >> the
> >> status

=== message truncated ===

http://my.yahoo.com

Re: Do we need to keep LibWWW transport updated

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@yahoo.com>.
> [...]

> > I preffer Xerces.
> > Additionally, now that we are going to have a TSPP, we are less likely to
> > use Expat.
> >
> > So I am for the removal of Expat based lib, provided that there are couple
> > of bugs in Expat based
> > lib that were not being attended by any one for some time. Either should
> > fix them or get rid of
> > Expat based lib if we do not have people willing to maintain that lib.
> >
> > (we should minimize bugs hanging in Jira without being fixed and if the
> > bugs are related to less
> > used components for which we have better alternatives, always better to
> > get rid of them - else
> > time and effort spent on those are wasted.)
> >
> > Samisa...
> >
> > --- sanjaya singharage <sa...@opensource.lk> wrote:
> >
> >> Yes I noticed. If we choose to let that be, what shall be done with

=== message truncated ===

http://my.yahoo.com

Re: Do we need to keep LibWWW transport updated

Posted by Damitha Kumarage <da...@opensource.lk>.
Hi Samisa,

Posted by John Hawkins <HA...@uk.ibm.com>.

fyi: We use XML4C which is Xerces compiled with ICU4C. Therefore we use a
variant of Xerces and would continue to fix bugs with this parser.

John Hawkins

             Samisa Abeysinghe
             <samisa_abeysingh
                                       Apache AXIS C Developers List
             22/11/2004 07:40          <ax...@ws.apache.org>

=== message truncated ===

The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
http://my.yahoo.com

Re: Do we need to keep LibWWW transport updated

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by sanjaya singharage <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Damitha Kumarage <da...@opensource.lk>.
Hi,

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@yahoo.com>.
Doc on module status: It is painfull to update the website regularly. Hence I preffer keeping
module updates in README or some other file in CVS. (I think this is mostly used by developers -
so make sense to keep  it in cvs)

+1 re removing LibWWW completely. (If all are OK with it, I can rmove it)

Yes you can find (and checkout) deleted files from CVS. CVS has histry info. For e.g. I removedd
axis transport and the link shows the dead files.
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/ws-axis/c/src/transport/axis/

Thanks,
Samisa...

http://my.yahoo.com

Re: Do we need to keep LibWWW transport updated

Posted by John Hawkins <HA...@uk.ibm.com>.

+1

John Hawkins

             Samisa Abeysinghe