Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org> on 2008/05/01 16:17:52 UTC

Starting Phase III refactoring : JNDI removal from the core started

Hi guys,

the server is now using ServerEntry internally, but in order to avoid
costly coversions from Attributes and ServerEntry, we have to remove the
JNDI layer which is embedded into the server.

Don't be scared, it's not a complete removal, but a extraction: the
layer will be insolated so that you will still be able to embed the
server and use JNDI, as before.

The major gain will be that tose who don't want to use JNDI, this will
be possible to address the server though a brand new dedicated API. The
standalone server will also use this brand new API (which still has to
be defined).

This phase will start with the creatin of a core-jndi subproject, which
will be the one users will call if they want to use JNDI (the associated
code is mainly in core atm). protocol-ldap will depends directly on
core, without passing through core-jndi.

Everything will be done in the bigbang branch, so don't be scared !

Thanks for your attention

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: Starting Phase III refactoring : JNDI removal from the core started

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 10:17 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>
wrote:

> This phase will start with the creatin of a core-jndi subproject, which
> will be the one users will call if they want to use JNDI (the associated
> code is mainly in core atm). protocol-ldap will depends directly on core,
> without passing through core-jndi.

Excellent.  So the last remaining piece we will have is search with the new
Cursor API to replace it with the overhauled partition and search engine
design.  I'm currently working on the NTLM SASL authentication now but
should return soon to this region of the code.  In the meantime Kiran is
looking into progressing there until I get back into that codebase.

I'm hoping we can wrap all this up and release a 1.5.4 (perhaps 1.5.3 might
go out the door before we complete this since we vowed to get it out
quickly).

Thanks for the update Emmanuel.

Alex