Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Eric Weiss <we...@llnl.gov> on 2005/07/15 19:55:53 UTC

Legacy 1.x Remote Repository to Maven 2 Repo

I currently use Maven 1.2 on several projects and have quite an extensive
repository.  It of course uses the 1.x directory structure and doesn't
contain any .pom or poms files/directories.

Now I am trying/using Maven2 and am wondering what is the best way to
access my existing 1.2 style repo.  I have read what I can find about this,
but there is no specific mention about the .poms.  If I set the layout to
"legacy", M2 requires a .pom to exist in  repo/group/poms, which doesn't
exist in 1.2 repos.

I want to just set the layout to legacy and have M2 access my original repo
as it is.

Am I missing something, or do I really have only these two choices:
1) add .pom files for all resources in the repo structure
2) convert old repo to new
structure:  /repo/group/artifact/version/xxxx-1.0.jar and .pom

Also, are there any other resources out there?  The docs are fairly sparse
at this point.  I'm not complaining...I know it is alpha still!

Great stuff, this Maven2...nice work!

TIA,
Eric

Eric Weiss
email: weiss7@llnl.gov

Re: Legacy 1.x Remote Repository to Maven 2 Repo

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
Yes, we have an undocumented app that we use to do the conversion.
Apparently it needs some tweaks to build right now. We will have it
usable by 2.0 final.

Search for repoclean in the users list mail archives and that should
give you some help getting started with it.

Cheers,
Brett

Posted by Eric Weiss <we...@llnl.gov>.
Thx Brett for the quick reply.

We are experiencing the obvious issue that not everyone is
ready/willing/able to switch to Maven2 (either now or when it is
prod).  That means we need to keep two enterprise wide repos.  This is not
preferrable, but certainly workable.

Is there a good way to automate the conversion from the M1 to the M2
style?  The tasks, as I understand it, include:
1) create .pom files for all jars.
2) create new directory structure
3) move jars and .poms to respective dirs
4) missing anything?

Has there been anyone working on a plugin or anything else to aid in this
conversion?  Even a document or list of steps/methods?

Thx again,
Eric

At 09:46 PM 7/15/2005, Brett Porter wrote:
>(2) is preferred. We are still considering allowing the use of an m1
>repository "as is", but it does limit the functionality Maven will
>provide and will not read m1 poms where the conversion will.
>
>- Brett
>
>On 7/16/05, Eric Weiss <we...@llnl.gov> wrote:
> >
> > I currently use Maven 1.2 on several projects and have quite an extensive
> > repository.  It of course uses the 1.x directory structure and doesn't
> > contain any .pom or poms files/directories.
> >
> > Now I am trying/using Maven2 and am wondering what is the best way to
> > access my existing 1.2 style repo.  I have read what I can find about this,
> > but there is no specific mention about the .poms.  If I set the layout to
> > "legacy", M2 requires a .pom to exist in  repo/group/poms, which doesn't
> > exist in 1.2 repos.
> >
> > I want to just set the layout to legacy and have M2 access my original repo
> > as it is.
> >
> > Am I missing something, or do I really have only these two choices:
> > 1) add .pom files for all resources in the repo structure
> > 2) convert old repo to new
> > structure:  /repo/group/artifact/version/xxxx-1.0.jar and .pom
> >
> > Also, are there any other resources out there?  The docs are fairly sparse
> > at this point.  I'm not complaining...I know it is alpha still!
> >
> > Great stuff, this Maven2...nice work!
> >
> > TIA,
> > Eric
> >

> > Eric Weiss
> > email: weiss7@llnl.gov

Eric Weiss
email: weiss7@llnl.gov
office: 925.422.4238
icq:    321045132

Re: Legacy 1.x Remote Repository to Maven 2 Repo

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.