Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2017/10/23 18:36:31 UTC

Simplify download distribution directory by dropping sha1 hashes?

HTTPD team,

Since our downloads are to be authenticated by their .asc PGP
signatures, and the hashes simply serve as checksums, is it reasonable
to offer only MD5 and SHA256 at this point?

Anyone without SHA256 (rare, I'd expect) can use MD5 as the simplest
supported checksum. All others should apply the strongest hash
validation.

Thoughts?

Bill

Re: Simplify download distribution directory by dropping sha1 hashes?

Posted by Daniel Ruggeri <dr...@primary.net>.
+1
--
Daniel Ruggeri

AW: Simplify download distribution directory by dropping sha1 hashes?

Posted by Plüm, Rüdiger, Vodafone Group <ru...@vodafone.com>.
Sounds reasonable to me.

Regards

Rüdiger

Posted by Stefan Eissing <st...@greenbytes.de>.

> Am 23.10.2017 um 20:36 schrieb William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>:
>
> HTTPD team,
>
> Since our downloads are to be authenticated by their .asc PGP
> signatures, and the hashes simply serve as checksums, is it reasonable
> to offer only MD5 and SHA256 at this point?
>
> Anyone without SHA256 (rare, I'd expect) can use MD5 as the simplest
> supported checksum. All others should apply the strongest hash
> validation.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Bill

+1

Re: Simplify download distribution directory by dropping sha1 hashes?

Posted by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 2:50 AM, Luca Toscano <to...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> HTTPD team,
>>
>> Since our downloads are to be authenticated by their .asc PGP
>> signatures, and the hashes simply serve as checksums, is it reasonable
>> to offer only MD5 and SHA256 at this point?
>>
>> Anyone without SHA256 (rare, I'd expect) can use MD5 as the simplest
>> supported checksum. All others should apply the strongest hash
>> validation.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> +1, I'd also get rid of MD5 since I don't expect anybody relying on it but I
> might be wrong :)

As much as I'd like to, it wasn't long ago I was still building httpd on HP/UX,
AIX and other oddballs. Having some old-school hash while httpd still
compiles on those boxes seems rational.

Re: Simplify download distribution directory by dropping sha1 hashes?

Posted by Luca Toscano <to...@gmail.com>.

> HTTPD team,
>
> Since our downloads are to be authenticated by their .asc PGP
> signatures, and the hashes simply serve as checksums, is it reasonable
> to offer only MD5 and SHA256 at this point?
>
> Anyone without SHA256 (rare, I'd expect) can use MD5 as the simplest
> supported checksum. All others should apply the strongest hash
> validation.
>
> Thoughts?

+1, I'd also get rid of MD5 since I don't expect anybody relying on it but
I might be wrong :)

Luca