Posted to dev@ode.apache.org by Rama Krushna <ra...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/16 12:48:03 UTC

how to contribute to ODE

Hi,

I work as Senior Software engineer for a MNC.
I am interested in contributing to Apache ODE . Can you please let me know
the procedure to contribute to ODE? Also, what all portions we can
contribute?

Thanks
Rama

Re: how to contribute to ODE

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rama,

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 3:48 AM, Rama Krushna <ra...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I work as Senior Software engineer for a MNC.
> I am interested in contributing to Apache ODE .

Sweet! Help is always welcome.

> Can you please let me know
> the procedure to contribute to ODE?

There's no real specific procedure for ODE, we just follow the Apache way
which is based on "meritocracy". You start by submitting patches for issues
you want to see fixed and we'll review and apply them. After a while, if the
ODE PMC (Project Management Committee) sees that you stick around (lots of
people just submit a couple patches to scratch their itch and disappear) and
that your patches are good enough, it will eventually vote you in as a
committer. From then you'll be granted write access to the ODE repository
and will commit as you want. We usually still lazily review each other's
patches as it's a godd way to spot unintended bugs.

> Also, what all portions we can
> contribute?

It's pretty much up to you to decide which portions of ODE you would like to
give your time to and what you would like to see improved. To get some
ideas, the roadmap [1] and the BPEL compliance [2] pages are always a good
start to work on expanding our BPEL support. You can also have a look at all
the issues we currently have pending in Jira [3] although some of them are
growing old. Once you've decided what you'd like to work on, I'd recommend
asking here again as we can help you find your way around and maybe detect
some pitfalls before you run into them.

So thanks for your offer of help and I hope to see you around for a long
while! ;)

Cheers,
Matthieu

[1] http://ode.apache.org/roadmap.html