Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@lnd.com> on 2000/02/17 08:32:45 UTC

Missed shareware/freeware product of interest to the NT community?

In reference to your resource page:

http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/exec/vendors/freeshare/Web.asp

I would politely suggest that the following product might be of some
interest to the Windows NT community...

http://www.apache.org/httpd.html

Apache Web Server (current version 1.3.11) for Windows 95/98/NT.

In the details section, I would encourage you to offer the following
disclaimer, as written by the Apache Group:

WARNING: The Win32 release of Apache should still be considered beta quality
code.  It does not meet the normal standards of stability and security that
Unix releases do.  There are numerous known bugs and inconsistencies.  There
is also a much greater chance of security holes being present in the Win32
version of Apache.

RE: Missed shareware/freeware product of interest to the NT community?

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@lnd.com>.
If you find these two messages of 0 interest to your participation in the
Apache project, please ignore, and I ask your forgivness in advance.  I have
only CC'd this group in the former message to alert other NT advocates of
the opportunity to post such a request.

I was reviewing a newsgroup request for a DNS server (thou the poor user was
blaming Apache 'virtual hosts' for their woes), and came across their
resource pages.

If any other NT advocates wish to submit this suggestion to MS - they do in
fact advertise a number of 'Competing' products on their resource pages.  In
light of the latest survey, however, I will be somewhat amused if they take
such a request seriously.  If so, kudos to them!  If not, I guess they are a
bit worried.