Posted to user@roller.apache.org by Ben Avery <be...@youthnet.org> on 2007/05/02 18:16:38 UTC

two Rollers, one database

I have an existing Roller (3.0) installation which runs 4 blogs on one
of our websites.
(http://www.do-it.org.uk/doitblog/campaign
  and the 3 others on the RHS)

We now need to take the content of two of these blogs
and show them on a different website, with a different theme. The URLs
would be rewritten and proxied from an Apache webserver, so it appears
to be on the new site.

The blog entries would still come from the original site's back end,
this would be a read-only version, although we'd like comments to be
writable on both sites.

How can I do this?

I could create and deploy a copy of the webapp, and point it at the same
database, but the templates are also stored in the same database.
All I can think to do is to create a copy of the database, and then
replace the weblogentry table with a database view of the original
table. The databases are running on the same machine, that would be no
problem. apart from the comments, unless I can create a writable view
for this, providing the IDs are GUIDs and wouldn't clash.

would this work, or is there an easier way to achieve this?

thanks in advance,

Ben Avery

--

Ben Avery
Software Developer

email: ben.avery@youthnet.org
phone: 020 7288 7333
snail: 2-3 Upper Street
        London N1 0PQ

Re: two Rollers, one database

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
On 5/2/07, Ben Avery <be...@youthnet.org> wrote:
> I have an existing Roller (3.0) installation which runs 4 blogs on one
> of our websites.
> (http://www.do-it.org.uk/doitblog/campaign
>   and the 3 others on the RHS)
>
> We now need to take the content of two of these blogs
> and show them on a different website, with a different theme. The URLs
> would be rewritten and proxied from an Apache webserver, so it appears
> to be on the new site.
>
> The blog entries would still come from the original site's back end,
> this would be a read-only version, although we'd like comments to be
> writable on both sites.
>
> How can I do this?
>
> I could create and deploy a copy of the webapp, and point it at the same
> database, but the templates are also stored in the same database.
> All I can think to do is to create a copy of the database, and then
> replace the weblogentry table with a database view of the original
> table. The databases are running on the same machine, that would be no
> problem. apart from the comments, unless I can create a writable view
> for this, providing the IDs are GUIDs and wouldn't clash.
>
> would this work, or is there an easier way to achieve this?

Sounds like that would work and no, I can't think of an easier way to do that.

It's a rather odd use case, if you don't mind my asking: why do you
want  to do that?

- Dave