Posted to dev@trafficserver.apache.org by Nelson Perez <bi...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/14 18:47:37 UTC

Protocol plugin

Hello, I've just downloaded and started testing TS 3.0 and realized the old
protocol plugin is not working. To give a little bit more detail there is a
function missing in InkAPI.cc called
TSHostLookupResultIPGet. So what should I do? I was actually running 2.1.8
before and looked at this list of corrections but could not findany mention
of that function being changed.

Nelson R. Pérez

Re: Protocol plugin

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
On 06/14/2011 03:48 PM, Nelson Perez wrote:
> Ok, cool.. I did some modifications using the new API and the plugin worked.
> Let me just point out the solution to a specific problem I had while
> installing 3.0 on a machine that was running 2.1.8.
>
> After doing make and make install the configuration files do not get
> replaced, and the variables that previously were:
>
> CONFIG proxy.config.hostdb.size INT 200000
> CONFIG proxy.config.hostdb.storage_size INT 33554432
>
> Should now be
>
> CONFIG proxy.config.hostdb.size INT 200000
> CONFIG proxy.config.hostdb.storage_size INT 67108864

Right. And as we point out in release notes and mailing lists etc., you
have to upgrade to use the new 3.0.0 configs, and blow away hostdb /
hostdb.config.

Re: Protocol plugin

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
On 06/14/2011 04:51 PM, Eric Balsa wrote:
> Funny, i had that exact same problem and mentioned it to Leif but
> chalked it up to my local config strangeness. We should def. mention
> this somewhere.

Yeah, it's a bit of a mess, but we tried our best to communicate this
(this is also why 2.1.x was "unstable" :). Fwiw, this is also why I
implemented that little perl module that lets you script the updates to
a records.config file. There's one example using it for setting up a
forward proxy, in the source tree at
contrib/perl/ConfigMgmt/examples/forward_proxy.pl. In the interest of
showing what I do on my "CDN", I'm also attaching the script I use to
configure my reverse proxy.

I highly recommend using a script similar to this for keeping your
configs up to date. This way, if we change something in records.config
(not likely in the 3.0.x release, but could certainly happen on trunk
and 3.1.x/3.2.0), you can keep your config file up to date.

-- Leif

Re: Protocol plugin

Posted by Eric Balsa <er...@apache.org>.
Funny, i had that exact same problem and mentioned it to Leif but
chalked it up to my local config strangeness. We should def. mention
this somewhere.

--Eric

Re: Protocol plugin

Posted by Nelson Perez <bi...@gmail.com>.