Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> on 2014/05/27 08:09:13 UTC

[Installer] No more caching (at least, not in the installer)

We're seeing lots of complaints about bad downloads during the install.
The current caching code in the installer caches whatever gets downloaded.
 I'm going to introduce more MD5 checks into the install scripts and in
order to make it work even for Ant users, I think I should change the
installer to delegate the caching to the Ant scripts.  The Ant scripts
will verify the MD5 before deciding whether to copy it to a specified
folder.

Anybody see anything bad about doing that?

-Alex

Re: [Installer] No more caching (at least, not in the installer)

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.
What EdB said ;-)

Tom

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> That might we worth doing?  Any objections?

No objections, but we would need to be careful in not to break the installers caching mechanism.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [Installer] No more caching (at least, not in the installer)

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Kessler CTR Mark J <ma...@usmc.mil>.
Would we also add timestamp property[1] sent when downloading a file to make sure we do not grab the browser cache.

[1] https://www.domain.com/filetodownload.ext?ts=1401195361932

-Mark

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: [Installer] No more caching (at least, not in the installer)

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
Actually, that sounds like the proper way to do it. The more actions we can
take out of the installer and into the scripts, the more control and
flexibility we gain.

+1

EdB

--