Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Kārlis Repsons <ka...@gmail.com> on 2010/01/27 15:02:40 UTC

Size of Bayes data and possible mysql storage?

Hello spam assassins,
The question, which bothers me is about Bayes data size. How much is a typical
size of those data and what mechanisms are there to limit growing of it? Can
mysql be used for storage and would you recommend it (well, maybe it can then
be easier to share Spamassassin knowledge with dspam?)? Thanks...

Re: Size of Bayes data and possible mysql storage?

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
Kārlis Repsons wrote on Wed, 27 Jan 2010 14:02:40 +0000:

> The question, which bothers me is about Bayes data size. How much is a typical
> size of those data

depends.

> and what mechanisms are there to limit growing of it?

it's all documented

> Can
> mysql be used for storage

that is also documented

> and would you recommend it

and that depends as well. In general: yes.

Did you even bother to *assume* there might be documentation before you sent to
the list?

Kai

Re: Size of Bayes data and possible mysql storage?

Posted by Bowie Bailey <Bo...@BUC.com>.

http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.3.x/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Conf.html

--
Bowie

Re: Size of Bayes data and possible mysql storage?

Posted by Ned Slider <ne...@unixmail.co.uk>.
Kārlis Repsons wrote:
> Hello spam assassins,
> The question, which bothers me is about Bayes data size. How much is a typical
> size of those data and what mechanisms are there to limit growing of it? Can
> mysql be used for storage and would you recommend it (well, maybe it can then
> be easier to share Spamassassin knowledge with dspam?)? Thanks...

See the "bayes_expiry_max_db_size" setting:

http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.2.x/doc/sa-learn.html#expiration

The default value of 150000 equates to a db size of ~6MB. I've increased
mine to 500000 in local.cf like so:

# default bayes_expiry_max_db_size 150000 (~6MB db size)
bayes_expiry_max_db_size 500000

I have around 460,000 tokens in my db atm, and it's using ~15MB so it's
not huge :)

I'm not using SQL so can't comment on it's usage.