Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de> on 2008/10/06 19:58:20 UTC

Fedora 9 and fop

Hi all,

I have recently upgraded my computer to fedora 9 (was fedora core 4) and
suddenly fop doesn't work anymore. The X server is running, but I also tried
the -Djava.awt.headless=true trick, which didn't work either.

Whenever I try to render a page, I am getting this in the logfile:

building formatting object tree
[1]
[1]

And then fop hangs.

On other machines the output looks like this:

building formatting object tree
[1]
table-layout=auto is not supported, using fixed!
Last page-sequence produced 1 pages.
Parsing of document complete, stopping renderer
Initial heap size: 20749Kb
(): Current heap size: 19121Kb
Total memory used: -1627Kb
Memory use is indicative; no GC was performed
These figures should not be used comparatively
(): Total time used: 388ms
Pages rendered: 1
Avg render time: 388ms/page

This applies to JDK 1.6 and fop 0.20.5, but I guess newer versions as well,
since they also require X support via Batik, no?

I am guessing that some X libraries weren't installed, is there any
information which ones are actually needed?

Many thanks in advance,

Ulrich

Re: Fedora 9 and fop

Posted by Roland Neilands <rn...@pulsemining.com.au>.
Ulrich,

We found fop 0.20.5 required these fonts on some RH versions, even in
headless mode:
xorg-x11-deprecated-lib

The fop errors we saw were different, but still misleading.

I don't think java 1.6 was around when that version of FOP was written
either FWIW.

Regards,
*Roland *

Re: Fedora 9 and fop

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.

Re: Fedora 9 and fop

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
Ulrich Mayring wrote:

<snip/>

> This applies to JDK 1.6 and fop 0.20.5, but I guess newer versions as
> well, since they also require X support via Batik, no?

v0.9x is a complete re-write of 0.20.5 so I don't think that is a fair
assumption. Also since v0.20.5 is 5 years old I strongly recommend that
you upgrade to v0.95.

> I am guessing that some X libraries weren't installed, is there any
> information which ones are actually needed?

If that were true then specifying -Djava.awt.headless=true would resolve
the issue. Its more likely that FOP got stuck in an infinite loop due to
some complex FO that you gave it. This type of problem was common with
the old 0.20.x series. v0.95 is much more stable in this regard.

Chris