Posted to dev@ranger.apache.org by Velmurugan Periasamy <ve...@apache.org> on 2016/05/17 15:42:01 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Ranger 0.5.3 (incubating)

Thanks Justin. Pushed few changes addressing your suggestions. Could you please verify if the current LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt are acceptable?

LICENSE.txt - https://github.com/apache/incubator-ranger/blob/master/LICENSE.txt
NOTICE.txt - https://github.com/apache/incubator-ranger/blob/master/NOTICE.txt

Re: Request to review updated License (Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Ranger 0.5.3 (incubating))

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I would like to get your feedback on updated LICENSE.txt for Ranger. https://github.com/apache/incubator-ranger/blob/master/LICENSE.txt

Has the full text of each license been placed somewhere? Most permissive license (e.g. MIT, BSD) require you to do that, often the legal requirement is satisfied by the license being in the header of the file, but this is not always the case. It’s ASF policy to add the text to LICENSE (or better still a pointer to that LICENSE text). What you done with LICENSE seems to sort of cover that but it’s a little odd, it may be missing the BSD text for instance.

Once you have a release candidate or similar ping me and I’ll review. It hard to check a license without know exactly what is going to be in the release.

Justin

Re: Request to review updated License (Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Ranger 0.5.3 (incubating))

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> LICENSE is missing reset.css. (7) Note this version bundled may not be public domain unlike this one (8) so you may need to sort that out.

This is still an issue as far as I can tell. The code in question doesn't have a license. I’d contact the author to conform or replace with a version with a known license.

> 7. ./apache-ranger-incubating-0.5.3/security-admin/src/main/webapp/libs/other/visualsearch/css/reset.css

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Request to review updated License (Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Ranger 0.5.3 (incubating))

Posted by Velmurugan Periasamy <ve...@apache.org>.
Thank you everyone for the really helpful feedback.

I will work with Ranger Dev community to address below concerns raised in this thread.

1] Review and verify all licenses listed in LICENSE are for bundled dependencies only
2] The code in question ( ./apache-ranger-incubating-0.5.3/security-admin/src/main/webapp/libs/other/visualsearch/css/reset.css) doesn't have a license. I’d contact the author to conform or replace with a version with a known license.
3] LICENSE missing the actual BSD text (Make sure full text of each license has been placed somewhere)
4] Add a README.txt to the folder https://github.com/apache/incubator-ranger/tree/master/security-admin/src/main/webapp/fonts/fontopensans

Thank you,
Vel

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
I think these lines for "The Apache License 2.0" for the non-ASF are
misleading (everything else is also Apache License) and is not
required by the Apache license.

> The Apache License 2.0
> This product includes Bootstrap Datepicker (http://www.eyecon.ro/bootstrap-datepicker - Apache License - 2.0), Copyright 2012 Stefan Petre.
> This product includes bootstrap-transition.js v2.3.2 (http://twbs.github.com/bootstrap/javascript.html#transitions - Apache License - 2.0), Copyright 2013 Twitter, Inc.
> This product includes Select2 3.4.3 (http://ivaynberg.github.io/select2/ - Apache License - 2.0), Copyright 2012 Igor Vaynberg.
> This product includes bootstrap-notify v1.0 (http://goodybag.github.io/bootstrap-notify/ - Apache License - 2.0), Copyright 2012 Goodybag, Inc.
> This product includes Open Sans font (http://www.opensans.com/ - Apache License - 2.0), © 2016 OpenSans.com
> This product includes Jisql (https://bitbucket.org/stdunbar/jisql - Apache License - 2.0), © 2004-2011 Scott Dunbar
> This product includes PasswordComparisonAuthenticator.java in Spring Security (https://github.com/spring-projects/spring-security - Apache License - 2.0), Copyright 2004, 2005, 2006 Acegi Technology Pty Limited

If the files already have (c) statements then those should be retained
(e.g. as you've done for bootstrap-datepicker.js) , and if they
already have a NOTICE than that content should be propagated (if
applicable to your selected files).  If you do that, then you should
be in compliance with the Apache License.

If the upstream has no (c) in file headers and no NOTICE of it's own,
then I must admit it's unclear what to do; I would be brave and add
their copyright to their files (as their copyright is kept even if not
stated; unless published in the US before 1989) - but this can be
tricky if the author's identity is unknown: "(c) github user
penrose1337" :)

(For the fonts binaries I think you can add a README.txt to the folder

On 20 June 2016 at 20:07, Velmurugan Periasamy <ve...@apache.org> wrote:
> [...]
>> Vel
>>
>> On May 19, 2016, at 8:11 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Still needs some work IMO but if a JIRA was raised to fix these issues in a later release I’d vote +1 on a new RC without these fixes. Just as long as it’s all sorted before graduation.
>>>
>>> Minor issues:
>>> - LICENSE is missing MIT licensed Search Icon CSS copyright Nicolas Gallagher bundled in  [1]
>>> - Is the copyright on this files correct? [2][3] if so what projects did they come from? (may effect content of NOTICE file)
>>> - LICENSE is missing MIT licensed es5-shim copyright Kristopher Michael Kowal bundled in [4]
>>> - LICENSE is missing SIL licensed FontAwesome [9]
>>> - LICENSE is missing reset.css. [7] Note this version bundled may not be public domain unlike this one [8] so you may need to sort that out.
>>> - LICENSE is missing MIT licensed sizzle.js bundled in several files [10]
>>> - LICENSE is missing MIT license javascript diff engine in [11]
>>> - I think handle bars require plugin is not WTFPL but MIT or BSD? [12] May require further investigation.
>>> - LICENSE is missing public domain json2.js [13]
>>> - LICENSE is missing BSD licensed easing equations from Robert Penner [15] in this file [14]
>>>
>>> This is a more serious concern (and has been asked before):
>>> - How is this file licensed? [5] or this one? [6]
>>>
>>> As there this is very complex there may of been a couple of things I missed.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Justin
>>>
>>> 1. ./apache-ranger-incubating-0.5.3/security-admin/src/main/webapp/libs/bower/backgrid-filter/css/backgrid-filter.css
>>> 2. ./apache-ranger-incubating-0.5.3/jisql/src/main/java/org/apache/util/sql/Jisql.java
>>> 3. ./apache-ranger-incubating-0.5.3/security-admin/src/test/java/org/apache/ranger/service/PasswordComparisonAuthenticator.java
>>> 4. ./apache-ranger-incubating-0.5.3/security-admin/src/main/webapp/libs/other/backgrid/backgrid.js
>>> 5. ./apache-ranger-incubating-0.5.3/security-admin/src/main/webapp/libs/bower/globalize/generator/HijriCalendar.js
>>> 6. ./apache-ranger-incubating-0.5.3/security-admin/src/main/webapp/libs/bower/globalize/generator/UmAlQuraCalendar.js
>>> 7. ./apache-ranger-incubating-0.5.3/security-admin/src/main/webapp/libs/other/visualsearch/css/reset.css
>>> 8. http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/css/reset/reset.css
>>> 9.  apache-ranger-incubating-0.5.3/security-admin/src/main/webapp/fonts/fontawesome/FontAwesome.otf
>>> 10. ./security-admin/src/main/webapp/libs/bower/jquery/js/jquery.js
>>> 11. ./security-admin/src/main/webapp/libs/bower/globalize/test/qunit/qunit.js
>>> 12. /security-admin/src/main/webapp/libs/bower/require-handlebars-plugin/js/hbs.js
>>> 13. ./security-admin/src/main/webapp/libs/bower/require-handlebars-plugin/js/json2.js
>>> 14. ./security-admin/src/main/webapp/libs/other/jquery-ui/js/jquery-ui-1.10.3.custom.js

Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Re: Request to review updated License (Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Ranger 0.5.3 (incubating))

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Velmurugan,

I just want to make sure you understand... the comments are around
compatible licenses, not specifically the jquery license.  This was one
that I grabbed as the first instance I saw.

To point out, if for some reason these files were not in the source release
(e.g. they're used on your website, not in the product) then its really a
non-issue.

John

Posted by Velmurugan Periasamy <ve...@apache.org>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Generally speaking, we only need to include the licenses for the
> dependencies, not a notice that the dependency is contained.

My understanding is that on things that are bundled need to be mentioned. [1] (and all the things mentioned in that license are bundled).

There no need to mention non included dependancies at all.

Thanks,
Justin

1.http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#guiding-principle

Re: Request to review updated License (Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Ranger 0.5.3 (incubating))

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Velmurugan Periasamy <ve...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin:

Posted by Velmurugan Periasamy <ve...@apache.org>.

Posted by Velmurugan Periasamy <ve...@apache.org>.
Thank you Justin. Cleaned up the license file as this library is not being used anymore. Please let us know if further changes are required.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,