Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by David Hubbard <dh...@opentext.com> on 2001/06/12 17:51:14 UTC

question regarding source of files

I am running the xerces parsers and everything works great. I have a
question
about the xml file location. Can the file reside on a networked machine. And
the
path to the file includes the machine.

thanks
david hubbard

Re: question regarding source of files

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@houston.rr.com>.
If the file is accessible by HTTP it is a no-brainer, however I guess that
is not the case.

Xerces-C supports a file: protocol that should do the trick if you are
trying to access a UNC addressed resource on Windows.  Be aware that the
file: protocol is only vaguely defined and platform specific, but from my
reading of src\util\XMLURL.cpp  around line 535, a URL of the form

file://///machine/share/filename

Should work.  To break it down:

file://  - the protocol
blank - the host, since the protocol is actually resolved locally it is
blank
/        - separator between host and path
//machine/share/filename - UNC name of resource  with forward slashes
replacing back slashes since I'm pretty sure back-slashes are formally
forbidden in URL'.s.

If that doesn't work, try:

file:///\\machine\share\filename

Which is the form descibed in Microsoft knowledge base article Q169606, but
I believe is not technically a legal URI.

Had no luck using that form of URL with IE 5.5 however.