Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by eric b <er...@free.fr> on 2011/11/20 09:19:22 UTC

[OT] Re: [WWW][Policy] Participate! - Rewriting contributing.openoffice.org

Hi,

Le 20 nov. 11 à 01:30, Kay Schenk a écrit :

> OK, I truly hate to make a comment like this, but...
>
> eric b, any chance you could take your issues with Louis somewhere
> other
> than this list?

Everything I reported are facts, that you can verify in the
archives.  I'm simply describing a system who caused a disaster in
OpenOffice.org. Louis was just one ot "the band".

If what people reported me is true, this "Monarchy" is still alive
(I've heard of "discussions with old Community Council") , and
probably, there is one plan behind the wood.

As volunteer, not being paid, and working a lot on the code in my
spare time, I'd like to concentrate me on something ethical and true,
to avoid this occur again, and see the MERIT and TRUE CONTRIBUTIONS
(not only code) being the motor, but not politics, nor mind
manipulators.

If I have some doubts, or if ever the old crappy system is back, I
promise to immediately stop to contribute to Apache OpenOffice.org,
without regret.

> This is, I believe, the second personal rant I've seen like this,
> and I, for one, don't really feel it's appropriate for the venue.

Well, if you read carefully : http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/
wiki/Community_Council_Log_20091217

... you'll read that I "alienated developers"  : [15:27:41] louis_to
and the fact that the lead seems to alienate a lot of develoopers,
arccording to reports

Please be curious : notice the name of the people present, and think
what's happening with them today.

My reaction is not a rant, but rather some "please, Apache people,
open your eyes".

Regards,
Eric

--
qɔᴉɹə
Blog : http://eric.bachard.org/news

Re: [OT] Re: [WWW][Policy] Participate! - Rewriting contributing.openoffice.org

Posted by eric b <er...@free.fr>.
Hi,

Le 21 nov. 11 à 13:56, Shane Curcuru a écrit :

>> I have perfectly understood, but you'll probably have to
>> distrubute some
>> roles too. This is urgent.
>
> Why do you say that?  What roles besides sufficiently diverse PPMC
> members and enough committers to work on the code base does the
> podling need?

I meant the areas of work are various, e.g. marketing, communication,
and some other domains too. Too much of work will need to delegate.

OpenOffice.org has a bad image in the public currently. Just to
mention the french case, people think OpenOffice.org is still Oracle
owned and is no longer free. More we wait and more the bad
information propagates.

>> In return, ...
> Apologies if my style was misinterpreted;

Accepted.  Let's concentrate us on the graduation you mentioned.

Regards,
Eric Bachard

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.

On 2011-11-21 1:35 AM, eric b wrote:
> So why do you protect people like you do with Hagar Delest ?
>
> Refuse other people to know all the people working with them is exactly
> the beginning of such Monarchy : people are not equal in your system.

Because that's ASF policy in terms of accepting iCLAs and allowing
committers to have access.  It has nothing to do with Hagar.  It's also
not going to change.  It's also not going to allow or become a monarchy.

> Remember : I only ask that PPMC know the real name of everybody in the
> PPMC, nothing else. How can we trust people if we don't know who they are ?

"Get used to disappointment."

>> I also think it's pretty clear from the discussions here by the most
>> active PPMC members (in terms of actual commits, not mailing list
>> traffic) that this PPMC explicitly does not want to re-form any of the
>> structures from the previous OpenOffice.org project.
>

> I have perfectly understood, but you'll probably have to distrubute some
> roles too. This is urgent.

Why do you say that?  What roles besides sufficiently diverse PPMC
members and enough committers to work on the code base does the podling
need?

> In return, I got your sarcasms.

Apologies if my style was misinterpreted; I was not trying to be
sarcastic in my previous reply.  Just trying to point out the very real
differences between how Apache projects are run and how the previous
OpenOffice.org project was run.  Differences that will be enforced if
the project wishes to graduate to become a full Apache project.

- Shane

Re: [OT] Re: [WWW][Policy] Participate! - Rewriting contributing.openoffice.org

Posted by eric b <er...@free.fr>.
Hi,

Le 20 nov. 11 à 17:38, Shane Curcuru a écrit :

> On 2011-11-20 3:19 AM, eric b wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> Le 20 nov. 11 à 01:30, Kay Schenk a écrit :
>>
>>> OK, I truly hate to make a comment like this, but...
>>>
>>> eric b, any chance you could take your issues with Louis
>>> somewhere other
>>> than this list?
>
> Kay has a point, and in a more established Apache project this kind
> of discussion would *not* be appreciated.

I perfectly understand.

>   However I understand that there's a lot of history in the
> previous OpenOffice.org project, especially with a lot of strong-
> willed individuals, so I'll contribute to this thread.

And you will see that Oracle was not the bad boy. And you'll discover
that a little number of people, always the same, mostly producing
nothing, had some responsabilties in the disaster too.

The same one are on top of the TDF now, and some are there, inside
Apache OpenOffice.org.

> [...]

> any of the structures from the previous OpenOffice.org project.

I have perfectly understood, but you'll probably have to distrubute
some roles too. This is urgent.

>> As volunteer, not being paid, and working a lot on the code in my
>> spare time, I'd like to concentrate me on something ethical and
>> true, to avoid this occur again, and see the MERIT and TRUE
>> CONTRIBUTIONS (not only code) being the motor, but not politics,
>> nor mind manipulators.
>>
>> If I have some doubts, or if ever the old crappy system is back, I
>> promise to immediately stop to contribute to Apache
>> OpenOffice.org, without regret.
>
> Yes, you've said this before (in terms of leaving the project if
> you couldn't know Hagar's true identity), which I have to say from
> my perspective doesn't help your argument any (at least not in the

And I can explain easely : I was really unsubscribed a long time,
ignoring everything about Apache OOo (that's why I ignore a lot of
things discussed in meantime).

Recently, one reported me issues, and I - generously - proposed to
fix them in apache OpenOffice.org too. I did that because I simply
wanted to help, and share my knowledge (I'm not paid for anything I
do in free software world). My purpose was to help Apache
OpenOfice.org, because what is happening (e.g. in France) is not
honest too (Communication war, and bad lobbying).

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
On 2011-11-20 3:19 AM, eric b wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Le 20 nov. 11 à 01:30, Kay Schenk a écrit :
>
>> OK, I truly hate to make a comment like this, but...
>>
>> eric b, any chance you could take your issues with Louis somewhere other
>> than this list?

Kay has a point, and in a more established Apache project this kind of
discussion would *not* be appreciated.  However I understand that