Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Tianyin Xu <ti...@cs.ucsd.edu> on 2014/10/08 05:56:56 UTC

Why I cannot delete all the nameNode metadata?

Hi,

I wanna run some experiments on Hadoop which requires a clean, initial
system state of HDFS for every job execution, i.e., the HDFS should be
formatted and contain nothing.

I keep *dfs.datanode.data.dir* and *dfs.namenode.name.dir* the default,
which are located in /tmp

Every time before running a job,

1. I first delete  dfs.datanode.data.dir and dfs.namenode.name.dir
#rm -Rf /tmp/hadoop-tianyin*

2. Then I format the nameNode
#bin/hdfs namenode -format

3. Start HDFS
sbin/start-dfs.sh

4. However, I still find the previous metadata (e.g., the directory I
previously created) in HDFS, for example,
#bin/hdfs dfs -mkdir /user
mkdir: `/user': File exists

Could anyone tell me what I missed or misunderstood? Why I can still see
the old data after both physically delete the directories and reformat the
HDFS nameNode?

Thanks a lot for your help!
Tianyin

Re: Why I cannot delete all the nameNode metadata?

Posted by ViSolve Hadoop Support <ha...@visolve.com>.
Hello,

HDFS default location /user, you can't delete the home directory for
hdfs. If you create a file or directory, it will be created under /user.

For example: hdfs dfs -mkdir <name>

Regards,
ViSolve Hadoop Support

Posted by ViSolve Hadoop Support <ha...@visolve.com>.
Hello,

Posted by ViSolve Hadoop Support <ha...@visolve.com>.
Hello,

Posted by ViSolve Hadoop Support <ha...@visolve.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Tianyin Xu <ti...@cs.ucsd.edu>.
The former, I use

--
Tianyin XU,
http://cseweb.ucsd.edu/~tixu/

Re: Why I cannot delete all the nameNode metadata?

Posted by Tianyin Xu <ti...@cs.ucsd.edu>.
The former, I use

--
Tianyin XU,
http://cseweb.ucsd.edu/~tixu/

Re: Why I cannot delete all the nameNode metadata?

Posted by Tianyin Xu <ti...@cs.ucsd.edu>.
The former, I use

--
Tianyin XU,
http://cseweb.ucsd.edu/~tixu/

Re: Why I cannot delete all the nameNode metadata?

Posted by Tianyin Xu <ti...@cs.ucsd.edu>.
The former, I use

--
Tianyin XU,
http://cseweb.ucsd.edu/~tixu/

Re: Why I cannot delete all the nameNode metadata?

Posted by Azuryy Yu <az...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Azuryy Yu <az...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Azuryy Yu <az...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Azuryy Yu <az...@gmail.com>.