Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Nigel Frankcom <ni...@blue-canoe.com> on 2007/10/05 04:44:06 UTC

Re: [users] Clash of 2 SPF packages

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 19:43:00 +0200 (CEST), Dag Wieers <da...@wieers.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 4 Oct 2007, Hugo van der Kooij wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 4 Oct 2007, Dag Wieers wrote:
>>
>> > That said, I wouldn't mind removing spfquery from one of the packages in
>> > order to allow both packages to be co-installed. I would prefer to remove
>> > it from perl-Mail-SPF-Query. Anyone minds ?
>>
>> Isn't that counter intuitive? The package name after all suggests .... SPF
>> Query?
>
>Right, but the tool in perl-Mail-SPF-Query is from february 2006, while
>the one from perl-Mail-SPF is from may 2007.
>
>Besides the name is not always the best indication. At least perl-Mail-SPF
>is a more correct and complete implementation and therefor is more likely
>to provide better results.
>
>I still ship spfquery and spfd from perl-Mail-SPF-Query, but in
>/usr/share/doc/ instead.

I'd agree with the removal of  perl-Mail-SPF-Query, as has been
pointed out to me by Michael Mansour... "since it's already been
announced by the author that it will _never_ be updated again, since
as mentioned earlier, Mail::SPF follows RFC and should be migrated to
by anyone using Mail::SPF::Query."

This is cross posted to the SA list to see what comment it brings from
there. Hopefully some of the SA admins are on this list and I won't
have to re-cover the entire thread :-D

Kind regards

Nigel