Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Koneru, Narendra" <nk...@informatica.com> on 2005/12/09 23:47:11 UTC

Question related to adding new services dynamically

Hi,

I tried hard but could not find any information regarding the following:

	The problem is this:
*	We want to add a new tomcat service (I am referring to a service
in server.xml) dynamically to be run on a different port within the same
tomcat instance.
*	We want to do this without restarting the tomcat.
*	We should be able to start/stop this service (any webapps within
this service) dynamically without starting/stopping services.

There will be already some tomcat webapps running on a standard port
configured in server.xml. What I want to do is that based on some input
from the user, I should start new webapps on a different port and this
port number is dynamic.

Is there a way I can achieve this functionality. I looked at the manager
application but it only allows to add/remove webapps within a static
pre-configured port number.

I am able to achieve by hacking some of the tomcat code and installing
my class in the Catalina loader that can access classes like
StandardEngine, etc. I am not sure if there are any caveats to it.
Please let me know.

Thanks.
Naren

RE: Question related to adding new services dynamically

Posted by Carl Olivier <ca...@unysen.co.uk>.
Hi.

Not sure if it is the most "approved" option, but there is a priveleged
attribute in the <Context /> which when set to true (privileged="true")
gives the classloader (and your classes) access to the tomcat/catalina
internals - thus no need for your "hacking" etc.

Just a thought.

Regards,

Carl