Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Corobitsyn Roman <kr...@dtnm.ru> on 2006/05/22 13:57:03 UTC

How to limit placing of jar-files in the user webapps?

How to limit placing of jar-files in the user webapps?
In other words, it is necessary to forbid, to the user to place jar-files in directory WEB-INF/lib
You will recommend what suitable ways?

Thanx for any help

BR,
   Corobitsyn Roman

Re: How to limit placing of jar-files in the user webapps?

Posted by Mladen Adamovic <ad...@blic.net>.
Antonio Petrelli wrote:
> If they all use the same version of Struts, there is no problem
> (though I am not sure about it :-) ). But think about the chance to
> have different versions of Struts in different webapps: it will lead
> to a complete classloader mess!
Now I know why is Tomcat hosting more expensive than Apache ;).
The price for Tomcat hosting was such that it was least expensive to me
to pay for VPS.

Re: How to limit placing of jar-files in the user webapps?

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <br...@tariffenet.it>.
Corobitsyn Roman ha scritto:
> But I am not sure about that, shared struts will not work.
> I have two hosts with three webapps, and everyone use struts.

If they all use the same version of Struts, there is no problem (though
I am not sure about it :-) ). But think about the chance to have
different versions of Struts in different webapps: it will lead to a
complete classloader mess!
Ciao
Antonio

Re: How to limit placing of jar-files in the user webapps?

Posted by Corobitsyn Roman <kr...@dtnm.ru>.
I too as think
But I am not sure about that, shared struts will not work.
I have two hosts with three webapps, and everyone use struts.
Certainly it OT, but I ask to explain to me why will not work, briefly

Thank you

Posted by David Delbecq <de...@oma.be>.
Ok, i see your problem.

Posted by Corobitsyn Roman <kr...@dtnm.ru>.
Hello David.
Thank you for reply
I am sorry, that I have insufficiently clearly formulated a question
We admit, I am a hoster, and at me am hosting buyers.
In <TOMCAT_HOME>shared/lib and <TOMCAT_HOME>common/lib I have 3rd libraries of the certain versions.
That there were no every possible mistakes, and resources Tomcat were not exhausted,
it is necessary to limit use of catalogue WEB-INF/lib. And for the user compiled classes
to use catalogue <CUSTOM_WEBAPP>/WEB-INF/classes. And there is a question as it can be made the best way

Thanx

DD> Ok, i suppose by user, you mean the webmaster owning a specific webapp.
DD> If so, could you tell me what is the point? It's pretty impossible to do
DD> anything without .jar files in a java webapp :)
DD> If what you want to avoid is people browsing a uploading .jar files....
DD> Unless you have a very badly written webapp it's already impossible :)
DD> Corobitsyn Roman wrote:
>> How to limit placing of jar-files in the user webapps?
>> In other words, it is necessary to forbid, to the user to place
>> jar-files in directory WEB-INF/lib
>> You will recommend what suitable ways?
>>
>> Thanx for any help
>>
>> BR,
>>    Corobitsyn Roman

Best regards,
 Corobitsyn                            mailto:kra@dtnm.ru

Re: How to limit placing of jar-files in the user webapps?

Posted by David Delbecq <de...@oma.be>.