Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Tim Eiring <Ei...@basco.com> on 2001/12/18 16:21:59 UTC

Action Lifecycle question

I have a web-page that has a few drop-down lists on it.  When a selection is made in the drop down, an action is called, and I filter down display data.  So, if I have 3 drop downs, I am going to have 3 separate actions, 1 for each drop down.
My question is:  What happens if a user makes a selection in one drop down(calls an action), and before the page is forwarded, makes a second selection(calls another action).  Essentially, while one action is executing, a second is called.  What happens to the thread of the first action after the second action is called?  The actions attached to the drop downs, call beans that access the database.  I have seen instances where all the connections in the connection pool are being used, when I select multiple dropdowns in succession very quickly.  My thought was that the thread from the first action is destroyted, when the second action is called.  Is this the case?  If it is, will my connction.close() etc. methods in my db access beans associated with the first actioin ever be executed?  I have all .close() methods in finally blocks.

Thanks,

Tim

Timothy Eiring
Consultant