Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by sai charan <ch...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/14 14:22:15 UTC

Configure Apache HTTPd as a reverse proxy (mod_proxy)

Hello,

I have installed geronimo application server in my PC, I have installed
Apache web server along with this geronimo, When i tried to Configure
Apache HTTPd as a reverse proxy (mod_proxy), I am unable to configure, I
followed all the below steps that mentioned in the document,

   1. Open the *httpd.conf* located in the <httpd_home>\conf directory.
   2. Look for the following LoadModule directives and uncomment them by
   removing the *#* at the beginning of the line.
      - *LoadModule proxy_module modules/mod_proxy.so*
      - *LoadModule proxy_http_module modules/mod_proxy_http.so*
   3. At the bottom of the httpd.conf add the following lines to enable the
   re-rounting.
      - *ProxyPass /console http://localhost:8080/console*
      - *ProxyPass /images http://localhost:8080/images*
      - *ProxyPassreverse / http://localhost:8080/*

Both are installed on the same machine, Could you please advice me on this
issue, I would really appreciate if i found any response from you.As i need
this in an urgent manner.

Regards,

Saicharan Burle

Re: Configure Apache HTTPd as a reverse proxy (mod_proxy)

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On May 14, 2012, at 8:22 AM, sai charan wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have installed geronimo application server in my PC, I have installed Apache web server along with this geronimo, When i tried to Configure Apache HTTPd as a reverse proxy (mod_proxy), I am unable to configure, I followed all the below steps that mentioned in the document,
>
> 	• Open the httpd.conf located in the <httpd_home>\conf directory.
> 	• Look for the following LoadModule directives and uncomment them by removing the # at the beginning of the line.
> 		• LoadModule proxy_module modules/mod_proxy.so
> 		• LoadModule proxy_http_module modules/mod_proxy_http.so
> 	• At the bottom of the httpd.conf add the following lines to enable the re-rounting.
> 		• ProxyPass /console http://localhost:8080/console
> 		• ProxyPass /images http://localhost:8080/images
> 		• ProxyPassreverse / http://localhost:8080/
> Both are installed on the same machine, Could you please advice me on this issue, I would really appreciate if i found any response from you.As i need this in an urgent manner.

Excuse the obvious -- httpd was started/restarted after your change? And geronimo has been started? If yes to both, we'll need more info… Certainly has/does work for me…

--kevan

Re: Configure Apache HTTPd as a reverse proxy (mod_proxy)

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On May 18, 2012, at 5:42 AM, sai charan wrote:

> Hello,
>
> It's working now, i had given locahost by mistakenly, now i changed and tried its working fine now, Could you clear me one more thing that, if i install  Apache webserver in an another machine in that case we have to give the IP addreess of the machine which we installed geronimo right?

Correct.

--kevan

Re: Configure Apache HTTPd as a reverse proxy (mod_proxy)

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On May 21, 2012, at 6:00 AM, sai charan wrote:

> Hello,
>
> It's working fine now.. Thank you so much for your response and for your help.... I want you to involve on this for some more clarification, Actually I deployed one sample application on the machine which i installed geronimo, Now i am accessing the console from another machine with the help of Apache webserver... So when i tried to view the application which i deployed , was not showing the url, I am getting this below error:
>
> Not Found
>
> The requested URL /sample was not found on this server.
>
> I think if i am able to access the console from other machine means i should also view or access the sample application which i deployed right?

No. Suggest you read up on mod_proxy configuration. Consult httpd documentation for that… You may want to evaluate why you want to use httpd/mod_proxy. What are you trying to accomplish?

That sample config shows how to proxy the /console application. If you want to proxy an additional application, you'd need to add appropriate httpd configuration for that… You could proxy the whole server, something like:

ProxyPass / http://localhost:8080/
ProxyPassreverse / http://localhost:8080/

But that begs the whole question of why you want to use httpd/mod_proxy at all…

--kevan

Re: Configure Apache HTTPd as a reverse proxy (mod_proxy)

Posted by sai charan <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by sai charan <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On May 17, 2012, at 1:19 AM, sai charan wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After editing the httpd.conf file i have restarted the Apache service and at the same time Apache Geronimo was started and in running mode..
>
> I am getting the below error:
>
> You requested http://www.locahost.com/console
> You probably intended http://localhost/console
>
> Confused? This means either you mistyped, or whoever wrote/configured the page/site/service you just came from screwed up. It happens, don't stress it (and don't blame me.) Apparently I have to spell it out: L O C A  host. See? No 'L', so your browser kindly appended .com, and you ended up here, instead of http://localhost/ which you presumably intended.
>
> Note: This is not localhost.com either. Check again. Again. See? No 'L'.

Well, seems to be spelled out pretty clearly… Somewhere, you've specified 'locahost' instead of 'localhost'.  BTW (seems worth noting) -- I assume you're running the web browser on the same host that you're running geronimo/httpd…

Check the ProxyPass configurations in httpd.conf. Make sure you didn't type 'locahost' by mistake. That probably doesn't explain your behavior (could probably reason it out, but really don't care…)

So, in your web browser, make sure you are asking for 'http://localhost/' and not 'http://locahost/'

--kevan

Re: Configure Apache HTTPd as a reverse proxy (mod_proxy)

Posted by sai charan <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by thiyagu_r <th...@gmail.com>.
What is the error?