Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Daniel Abad <da...@cidadei.com.br> on 2001/09/20 16:33:10 UTC

server reached MaxClients setting

Is it really a problem??? Or just warning?

[Thu Sep 20 00:28:53 2001] [error] server reached MaxClients setting,
consider raising the MaxClients setting

Tks.

Dan

Re: server reached MaxClients setting

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>.
On Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 11:33:10AM -0300, Daniel Abad wrote:
> Is it really a problem??? Or just warning?
>
> [Thu Sep 20 00:28:53 2001] [error] server reached MaxClients setting,
> consider raising the MaxClients setting

What MPM are you using (or are you using 1.3)?

-aaron

Re: server reached MaxClients setting

Posted by Sascha Schumann <sa...@schumann.cx>.
On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> At 11:33 AM -0300 9/20/01, Daniel Abad wrote:
> >Is it really a problem??? Or just warning?
> >
> >[Thu Sep 20 00:28:53 2001] [error] server reached MaxClients setting,
> >consider raising the MaxClients setting
> >

> No doubt, you are getting hammered by Nimba causing your server to
> spawn extra processes to handle the increased load... So actually,
> it's a *good* thing since it's preventing the attack from
> consuming all your server resources.

    Or he is serving large files to slow clients, so that a lot
    of Apache processes are blocked for a longer period of time.
    That happens regularly to www.php.net with MaxClients 256.
    One way to fix that is recompiling Apache to handle even more
    clients, but that increases the overall RAM usage of course.
    So we usually just choose the lazy route, install an
    additional thttpd and redirect requests as appropiate.

    - Sascha                                     Experience IRCG
      http://schumann.cx/                http://schumann.cx/ircg

Re: server reached MaxClients setting

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
At 11:33 AM -0300 9/20/01, Daniel Abad wrote:
>Is it really a problem??? Or just warning?
>
>[Thu Sep 20 00:28:53 2001] [error] server reached MaxClients setting,
>consider raising the MaxClients setting

No doubt, you are getting hammered by Nimba causing your server to
spawn extra processes to handle the increased load... So actually,
it's a *good* thing since it's preventing the attack from
consuming all your server resources.
                   will lose both and deserve neither"