Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Sean Dockery <us...@sbdconsultants.com> on 2003/12/15 09:48:49 UTC

Tomcat performance on Windows versus Linux

I am planning to profile a web application on Windows XP (my development
platform).  I am curious as to whether or not different components in Tomcat
and the JVM will behave differently (in a relative comparison) on Linux
(production platform) than Windows.

For example, I have had a person tell me that threads under Linux are more
performant than threads under Windows--leading to the corollary that web
applications under Linux are more performant than web applications under
Windows on the same hardware.  My guess is that this claim is based upon the
supposition that thread/context switches under Linux are faster than under
Windows.  I find the claim rather dubious because I've never seen data to
support the claim, but doubt is not certainty.

Is there any evidence that this claim and other component performance
differences between the Windows and Linux platform exist and are significant
enough to throw my performance measurements out the "window".  :-)

My concern is that I'll profile the application under Windows and tune it,
but then find that my gains aren't as significant or maybe even worthless
under Linux.

Re: Tomcat performance on Windows versus Linux

Posted by Sean Dockery <us...@sbdconsultants.com>.
"David Rees" <dr...@greenhydrant.com> wrote in message

> Not enough difference to make it a deciding factor between the two
> platforms.  IMO, Tim's criteria are spot on when deciding what platform to
> deploy on.  Personally, I prefer Unix as I find it easier to setup and
> administer.  Of course, the majority of my experience with Tomcat is on
> Unix, and not on Windows.

That's fine.  I never disagreed with Tim's reasons to choose one platform
over another.  But, as I have already responded, I am not choosing a
platform on which to deploy my application; so, arguments as to which
platform is better are moot.

> If you haven't looked already, have a look at the Volano benchmarks
> (google for it) for some numbers on the scalability and performance of
> different JVM, but note that those numbers won't necessarily reflect the
> performance of YOUR application running on Tomcat.

Thanks for this tidbit.  It is still very early in the process, but
scalability of JVMs is definitely of interest to me.

Re: Tomcat performance on Windows versus Linux

Posted by David Rees <dr...@greenhydrant.com>.
On Mon, December 15, 2003 at 9:42 am, Sean Dockery wrote:
> "Tim Funk" <fu...@joedog.org> wrote in message:
>> [I hate saying this since its rather very much like flambait
>> but...]
>>
>> If its worth anything, I haven't had enough load on any of our apps
>> to know whether Linux or Windows is better. Instead, look at: ***
>> - Maintenance - If your a windows shop - stay windows *** -
>> Debugging - I think troubleshooting is easier on *nix systems
>> (YMMV) - Comfort - If your comfortable with unix concepts - linux
>> might be easier than windows
>
> Thanks, Tim, for the even handed response.
>
> I'm not looking for a business case to choose one or the other,
> however; it is certain that our customers will be deploying our
> application on both Linux and Windows (and even Solaris). I'm just
> looking to find out whether or not OS service (TCP/IP stacks,
> threads, file I/O, etc...) implementation differences between Linux
> and Windows have a significant impact on performance and thus should
> be weighed accordingly.

Not enough difference to make it a deciding factor between the two
platforms.  IMO, Tim's criteria are spot on when deciding what platform to
deploy on.  Personally, I prefer Unix as I find it easier to setup and
administer.  Of course, the majority of my experience with Tomcat is on
Unix, and not on Windows.

If you haven't looked already, have a look at the Volano benchmarks
(google for it) for some numbers on the scalability and performance of
different JVM, but note that those numbers won't necessarily reflect the
performance of YOUR application running on Tomcat.

> My conclusions from my readings so far: Slow java code (i.e.:
> algorithms) will be slow on any platform; change the implementation
> to make it faster. Configurable behaviour dependent upon OS services
> (TCP/IP stacks, threads, file I/O, etc...) should be tuned for the
> platform on which the application will live.

I think you've got the idea.

-Dave

Re: Tomcat performance on Windows versus Linux

Posted by Oscar Carrillo <to...@daydream.stanford.edu>.
I am about to setup Tomcat under a new Linux 2.6 kernel with 2 Athlon MP
processors. Since scheduling, threading, and SMP have been much improved
in the new kernel I wonder if it will add to performance.

I don't have anything to test the new setup with, but if anyone has good
ideas (and by good, I mean "easy"), as I haven't done any profiling, etc.

Oscar
http://daydream.stanford.edu/tomcat/install_web_services.html

Posted by Sean Dockery <us...@sbdconsultants.com>.

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.