Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by William Uther <wi...@cs.cmu.edu> on 2002/06/07 18:41:58 UTC

svnadmin load error

Hi,
  I just started playing with switching to the new repository format.
"svnadmin dump" worked fine.  I only had ~120 revisions so I didn't bother
redeltifying.  Anyway, "svnadmin load" dies...

------- Committed new rev 62 (loaded from original rev 62) >>>

<<< Started new txn, based on original revision 63
     * adding path : trunk/Papers/Thesis/fig/introb ...COPIED... done.

subversion/libsvn_fs/tree.c:200
svn_error: #21073 : <Item already exists in filesystem>
  file already exists: filesystem `svnroot/db', transaction `1r', path
`trunk/Papers/Thesis/fig/introb/rawMaze.graffle'

I don't have time to play with it (I feel bad about not contributing more,
but I have this little thesis thing to write...).  If someone is interested
I can send them the gzipped dump file and/or the .tar.gz repository (they
are 6.3 and 14.3 Mb respectively).  I'm wondering if there is some
repository corruption as that was about the time I discovered issue 667.

I'm not having any issues using the repository in particular, using svnlook
on the old repos gives:

% svnlook svnroot rev 63
will
52
Moved Thesis/fig/intro to introb on the way to Intro
/
 trunk/
[snip rest of repository listing]

Later,

\x/ill         :-}

Re: svnadmin load error

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 05:10:38PM -0400, William Uther wrote:
> Updated to new repos format.  That seems to work now.  And I can commit to
> it straight from my old working copy :).

Yup. Your WC will fix itself whenever you do a commit, or some kind of
change is pulled down during an 'update'.

> Quick question:  There was much talk of a grad re-checkout for changing $svn
> to !svn.  Does this apply at all to ra-local working copies?  I can't see
> $svn or !svn in my entries files anywhere.

Not for ra_local. Only if you've checked out over the network. But even on a
WC from the network, it isn't "required". It will simply help out with some
performance issues.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: svnadmin load error

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
William Uther <wi...@cs.cmu.edu> writes:

> Quick question:  There was much talk of a grad re-checkout for changing $svn
> to !svn.  Does this apply at all to ra-local working copies?  I can't see
> $svn or !svn in my entries files anywhere.

ra_local doesn't cache secret urls in your working copy; that's an
ra_dav feature.  :-)

Re: svnadmin load error

Posted by William Uther <wi...@cs.cmu.edu>.
On 7/6/02 2:58 PM, "Ben Collins-Sussman" <su...@collab.net> wrote:

> I'm 90% certain that I know what your problem is, because it looks
> exactly like what I've experienced myself.
>
> You see, 'svnadmin dump' used to dump all the files below a copied
> subtree, and 'svnadmin load' used to deliberately ignore these files
> if the copy went successfully.
>
> We tossed that plan: now 'svnadmin dump' just writes a *single* record
> into the dumpfile: "copy this directory", and 'svnadmin load' isn't
> deliberately ignoring any records anymore.
>
> The problem you're seeing (I'll bet) is that your dumpfile was
> produced by an older version of svnadmin -- it dumped too much data.
> And now you're trying to load the data with the latest svnadmin that
> doesn't want to see the data ("whattyamean add this file?  it's
> already there, it was part of the copy!")
>
> Build yourself a static r2092 binary of svnadmin, and use *that* to
> make your dumpfile.

I'd just figured out something like this (rev 63 had an add under the copy)
when I got your email...

Having built the new old svn :) I just tried dumping and restoring the repos
(restoring to the old style).  It works now.

Updated to new repos format.  That seems to work now.  And I can commit to
it straight from my old working copy :).

Quick question:  There was much talk of a grad re-checkout for changing $svn
to !svn.  Does this apply at all to ra-local working copies?  I can't see
$svn or !svn in my entries files anywhere.

Thankyou for the help.

\x/ill         :-}

Re: svnadmin load error

Posted by cm...@collab.net.
William Uther <wi...@cs.cmu.edu> writes:

> ------- Committed new rev 62 (loaded from original rev 62) >>>
>
> <<< Started new txn, based on original revision 63
>      * adding path : trunk/Papers/Thesis/fig/introb ...COPIED... done.
>
> subversion/libsvn_fs/tree.c:200
> svn_error: #21073 : <Item already exists in filesystem>
>   file already exists: filesystem `svnroot/db', transaction `1r', path
> `trunk/Papers/Thesis/fig/introb/rawMaze.graffle'
>

> I don't have time to play with it (I feel bad about not contributing more,
> but I have this little thesis thing to write...).  If someone is interested
> I can send them the gzipped dump file and/or the .tar.gz repository (they
> are 6.3 and 14.3 Mb respectively).  I'm wondering if there is some
> repository corruption as that was about the time I discovered issue 667.

Can you post the revision 63 portion of your dumpfile (if it isn't too
terribly large)?

Re: svnadmin load error

Posted by cm...@collab.net.
Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> writes:

> > Shall I make the branch?
>
> Yes, please.
>
> Note: while I disagree with the fix to the undeltify command, we can
> certainly use that on the branch. I think the trunk should fix the
> svn_fs_deltify() function properly (and lose the change made to svnadmin).

Yeah, the `fix' is totally my fault.  I made the patch as a quick test
to see if `svnadmin undeltify' worked better that way.  Unfortunately,
by the time I'd tested the thing and finished being excited that it
actually worked, I had forgotten that it was the Wrong Fix. :-)  I
should have fixed svn_fs_undeltify() instead.  Will do, as soon as I
can find time to do so.

Re: svnadmin load error

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 02:55:16PM -0500, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> writes:
> > On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 01:58:28PM -0500, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> > If we branch 2092, then we could also apply fixes in the future to the dump
> > code (should they arise).
>
> That's a good idea.  In fact, we *already* have a patch for svnadmin's
> 'undeltify' command that needs to be applied to r2092.  It would make
> things a lot easier for folks.  (It's mentioned in
> notes/repos_upgrade_HOWTO.)

Yup. I mentioned all that in my response to rev 2110. The above note was a
follow-on to that suggestion. (to mention the possibility that future bugs
on "dump" would have a home)

Re: svnadmin load error

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Re: svnadmin load error

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 01:58:28PM -0500, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> The problem you're seeing (I'll bet) is that your dumpfile was
> produced by an older version of svnadmin -- it dumped too much data.
> And now you're trying to load the data with the latest svnadmin that
> doesn't want to see the data ("whattyamean add this file?  it's
> already there, it was part of the copy!")
>
> Build yourself a static r2092 binary of svnadmin, and use *that* to
> make your dumpfile.

If we branch 2092, then we could also apply fixes in the future to the dump
code (should they arise).

Oh. And in my previous mail, I suggested making tools/server. I note that
enable-dupkeys.sh could be moved into that directory. Hmm. cgi and cvs2svn
would also go in there.

Cheers,
-g

--