Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Mark Junker <m....@hm-software.de> on 2006/05/05 07:49:27 UTC

Browsing the repository (svn ls) is slow when using fsfs/authz and svn HEAD

Hi,

due to a problem with SVN 1.3.1 regarding authz authentication we had to
upgrade to SVN HEAD. We compiled SVN on a SuSE Linux 9.3 x86_64 machine
and everything seems to work.

The only problem we have is that browsing the repository using "svn ls"
(from the same machine) or TortoiseSVN 1.3.3 (from a Win32 client) is
very slow. It may take up to a few minutes to show some a single
directory. It seems to depend on the size of the repository (number of
files/folders?) how long it'll take.

--
Kind regards,
Mark Junker

Re: Browsing the repository (svn ls) is slow when using fsfs/authz and svn HEAD

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 5/8/06, Mark Junker <m....@hm-software.de> wrote:

> It seems to depend on the total number of sub folders that are
> accessible from this directory. The directory size itself doesn't seem
> to matter but I don't know for sure.

What do you mean by sub folders?  Folders contained within this
directory, or folders underneath this directory?  If it's the latter,
then perhaps something is doing a recursive permission check that used
to be nonrecursive...  In any event, if you could give an actual
repository layout that shows the problem I'd love to see it, at this
point there isn't a whole lot to go on as far as reproducing this.

-garrett

Re: Browsing the repository (svn ls) is slow when using fsfs/authz and svn HEAD

Posted by Mark Junker <m....@hm-software.de>.
Garrett Rooney schrieb:

> Can you be more specific about the problem you're seeing?  What ra
> layer are you using?  http:// or svn://?

We use svn://

> How fast was it before and how fast is it now?

It took a few seconds before. Now it normally takes up to a minute.

 > What size directory are you seeing the problem
> on?

It seems to depend on the total number of sub folders that are
accessible from this directory. The directory size itself doesn't seem
to matter but I don't know for sure.

> Do you have path based authorization turned on?

Yes.

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 5/5/06, Mark Junker <m....@hm-software.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> due to a problem with SVN 1.3.1 regarding authz authentication we had to
> upgrade to SVN HEAD. We compiled SVN on a SuSE Linux 9.3 x86_64 machine
> and everything seems to work.
>
> The only problem we have is that browsing the repository using "svn ls"
> (from the same machine) or TortoiseSVN 1.3.3 (from a Win32 client) is
> very slow. It may take up to a few minutes to show some a single
> directory. It seems to depend on the size of the repository (number of
> files/folders?) how long it'll take.

Can you be more specific about the problem you're seeing?  What ra
layer are you using?  http:// or svn://?  How fast was it before and
how fast is it now?  What size directory are you seeing the problem