Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jean-Christian Gagne <je...@prasahewitt.ch> on 2003/04/14 16:52:57 UTC

Do I need Apache ?

Hi all,

My question is about web application deployment infrastructure. A common
scenario seems to be Apache+Tomcat. In a previous thread, I found a link
to a message  discussing why Apache
(http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=104441321803644&w=2) .
But the author of the message doesn't like Tomcat and his analysis may be
biaised. What is your opinion ?  Is Tomcat secure/stable enough to use it
without Apache ?  The answer is probably "It depends"...

Our profile: Tomcat 4.x (latest stable release), https, Windows NT,
firewalls, authentication with "Login form", Struts, file uploads, few
static resources (images, css), dynamic document generation (images, pdf,
zip), moderate traffic, maybe single sign-on, ...

Thanks.

Jean-Christian Gagné
PRASA Hewitt - Software engineer
jean-christian.gagne@prasahewitt.ch
www.prasahewitt.ch

Re: Do I need Apache ?

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.
There's no reason to use Apache with Tomcat unless you have the need.  Only
you can determine that need, by trying your web application under load in
both scenarios, or if you must have a feature that only Apache can support,
like a custom module.

John

Re: Do I need Apache ?

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.