Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Hiep T. Nguyen" <hi...@ee.ucr.edu> on 2005/11/04 03:26:46 UTC

[users@httpd] mail()

Hi there,

I just wonder if I need to setup email server (postfix,qmail,sendmail) in order to use mail() function in php?  If not, what do I have to configure for mail() function to work properly?

Currently, I'm using CentOS 4.2 and I'm not hosting my own email server.

Thanks,
JC

Re: [users@httpd] mail()

Posted by Sean Brown <se...@gmail.com>.
First of all, this question should be posted to a PHP list:

But, since you asked, you need to either supply your own local STMP
mailer, or use a remote STMP server.  Either works well.  I'd highly
suggest looking into using the PEAR Mail class:  http://pear.php.net.

Sean

Re: [users@httpd] mail()

Posted by herbs <he...@gmx.net>.
Hi JC,
some php applications can connect over external smtp servers to send emails to users, but mostly they need their own mailserver. The recommended way is to use your own mailserver. I have choosen postfix for my own server - its easy to setup and works almost out of the box. I have given up with sendmail, didnt get it running on Slackware.

Hope that helps
herbs

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 21:26:46 -0500