Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Roman Neuhauser <ne...@sigpipe.cz> on 2005/09/04 11:54:21 UTC

ant 1.6.5, bsf 2.3.0, rhino 1.6R2 RC2

Hello,

I'm hitting walls trying to use script tasks with javascript.

Software:

* FreeBSD-5.4-RELEASE-p6 i386
* (compiled) native Sun JDK SE 1.4.2_8 FreeBSD patch level 7
* (binary) Apache Ant 1.6.5
* (binary) Apache BSF 2.3.0
* (binary) Mozilla Rhino 1.6 R2 RC2,

I'm seeing these two errors when I try to use javascript scripts:

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.mozilla.javascript.Context.getDebuggableEngine()Lorg/mozilla/javascript/debug/DebuggableEngine;

Looks like I'm not the only one who hasn't gotten this to work:

http://www.intellij.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/BsfConsole

http://ant.apache.org/manual/install.html says:

"If you use Apache BSF 2.3.0-rc1, you must use rhino 1.5R3 - later
versions of BSF work with 1.5R4 as well."

but http://java2.5341.com/msg/81816.html suggests that 1.5R4 cannot
work with 2.3.0 because Rhino dropped the Context.getDebuggableEngine
method between R3 and R4, and, as it turns out, that's precisely the
case: http://www.mozilla.org/rhino/rhino15R4-debugger.html

The text on the Ant install.html page is thus misleading: BSF 2.3.0
(which is later than 2.3.0-RC1) does not work with Rhino 1.5R4 or newer.

Could someone please fix the text?

You don't know, man.  You don't KNOW.

Re: ant 1.6.5, bsf 2.3.0, rhino 1.6R2 RC2

Posted by Roman Neuhauser <ne...@sigpipe.cz>.
# peterreilly@apache.org / 2005-09-05 09:53:26 +0100:
> Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> >http://ant.apache.org/manual/install.html says:
> >
> >"If you use Apache BSF 2.3.0-rc1, you must use rhino 1.5R3 - later
> >versions of BSF work with 1.5R4 as well."
> >
> >but http://java2.5341.com/msg/81816.html suggests that 1.5R4 cannot
> >work with 2.3.0 because Rhino dropped the Context.getDebuggableEngine
> >method between R3 and R4, and, as it turns out, that's precisely the
> >case: http://www.mozilla.org/rhino/rhino15R4-debugger.html
> >
> >The text on the Ant install.html page is thus misleading: BSF 2.3.0
> >(which is later than 2.3.0-RC1) does not work with Rhino 1.5R4 or newer.
>
> The bsf site is a bit misleading, there is no 2.3.0 release, the bsf-2.3
> tar file comes from a 2.3,0 rc1 directory.

    Aha. Well, that's incredibly lame. On to practical problems now that
    I have 1.5R3 installed...

Posted by Peter Reilly <pe...@apache.org>.
Roman Neuhauser wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm hitting walls trying to use script tasks with javascript.
>
>Software:
>
>* FreeBSD-5.4-RELEASE-p6 i386
>* (compiled) native Sun JDK SE 1.4.2_8 FreeBSD patch level 7
>* (binary) Apache Ant 1.6.5
>* (binary) Apache BSF 2.3.0
>* (binary) Mozilla Rhino 1.6 R2 RC2,
>
>I'm seeing these two errors when I try to use javascript scripts:
>
>java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.mozilla.javascript.Context.getDebuggableEngine()Lorg/mozilla/javascript/debug/DebuggableEngine;
>
>Looks like I'm not the only one who hasn't gotten this to work:
>
>http://www.intellij.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/BsfConsole
>
>http://ant.apache.org/manual/install.html says:
>
>"If you use Apache BSF 2.3.0-rc1, you must use rhino 1.5R3 - later
>versions of BSF work with 1.5R4 as well."
>
>but http://java2.5341.com/msg/81816.html suggests that 1.5R4 cannot
>work with 2.3.0 because Rhino dropped the Context.getDebuggableEngine
>method between R3 and R4, and, as it turns out, that's precisely the
>case: http://www.mozilla.org/rhino/rhino15R4-debugger.html
>
>The text on the Ant install.html page is thus misleading: BSF 2.3.0
>(which is later than 2.3.0-RC1) does not work with Rhino 1.5R4 or newer.

The bsf site is a bit misleading, there is no 2.3.0 release, the bsf-2.3
tar file comes
from a 2.3,0 rc1 directory. Work on apache bsf seems to have paused a
long time
ago.

Ant will most likely support the jdk 1.6 javax.script api soon, allowing use
of the inbuild rhino and (for 1.7) inbuilt beanshell and any scripting
language
that supports javax.script.

Peter