Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Joe Pollard <Jo...@bazaarvoice.com> on 2009/04/29 21:45:54 UTC

Distributed Search - only get ids

Solr 1.3: If I am only getting back the document ids from a distributed search (e.g., uniqueid is 'id' and the fl parameter only contains 'id'), there seems to be some room for optimization in the current code path:

1)      On each shard, grab top N sorted document ids & sort fields)

2)      Merge these into one list of N sorted id fields.

3)      Query each shard for the details of these documents (by id), getting back a field list of id only.
It seems to me that step 3 is overhead that can be skipped.

Any thoughts on this/known patches?

Thanks,
-Joe