Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Hajo Locke <Ha...@gmx.de> on 2019/01/09 08:48:16 UTC

[users@httpd] ErrorDocument with URL containing URL encoded chars

Hello List,

have a interesting problem here.
I have a .htaccess with Errordocument containing Text to be displayed:

ErrorDocument 404 "not existing"

This works with standard URLs like http://example.com/fubar.htm
I get response 404 and in Browser displayed text is correct.

Now i try URLs like this: http://example.com/%2ffubar
The URL encoded part of URL seems to be a problem for errordocument. I
still get the 404 respone, but displayed text has changed.
In place of "not existing" apache answers with "The requested URL
//fubar was not found on this server."
So apache is decoding $2f to / and use decoded URL for response-text in
place of "not existing"

i get a change of behaviour if i put the ErrorDocument directive direct
into Vhost instead of .htaccess.
in this case the ErrorDocument is working as expected also with URLs
with url encoded Parts.

In Apache 2.2 and 2.4  is same behaviour.
What is problem here and how to solve this?

Thanks,
Hajo

Re: [users@httpd] ErrorDocument with URL containing URL encoded chars

Posted by Dan Ehrlich <da...@ehrlichserver.com>.
Not surprising that you got different behavior after removing a value from
.htaccess and placing it elsewhere.

No one knows exactly / 100% how .htaccess works. The file only exists
because they wanted to maintain backwards compatibility with the web server
that used to come with Mosaic at University of Illinois in the mid-90's.
That server, called NCSA, had a requirement for directory level config
files.

Funny enough this is where the name Apache comes from...it was basically a
collection of patches / a very "patchy" together web server

Sorry I couldn't be of more help:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCSA_HTTPd

https://www.askapache.com/htaccess/

Posted by Hajo Locke <Ha...@gmx.de>.
Hello,

Am 09.01.2019 um 09:48 schrieb Hajo Locke:
> Hello List,
>
> have a interesting problem here.
> I have a .htaccess with Errordocument containing Text to be displayed:
>
> ErrorDocument 404 "not existing"
>
> This works with standard URLs like http://example.com/fubar.htm
> I get response 404 and in Browser displayed text is correct.
>
> Now i try URLs like this: http://example.com/%2ffubar
> The URL encoded part of URL seems to be a problem for errordocument. I
> still get the 404 respone, but displayed text has changed.
> In place of "not existing" apache answers with "The requested URL
> //fubar was not found on this server."
> So apache is decoding $2f to / and use decoded URL for response-text
> in place of "not existing"
>
> i get a change of behaviour if i put the ErrorDocument directive
> direct into Vhost instead of .htaccess.
> in this case the ErrorDocument is working as expected also with URLs
> with url encoded Parts.
>
> In Apache 2.2 and 2.4  is same behaviour.
> What is problem here and how to solve this?
we solved it with directive AllowEncodedSlashes

> Thanks,
> Hajo

Hajo