Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Guido <gu...@ribera.tel.uva.es> on 2003/04/02 12:20:41 UTC

DynaForms perfomance

Is there any perfomance comparation "DynaActionForms vs ActionForms"?
What is the penalty of using Dyna ones (perfomance and other drawbacks)?

Thank you,
Guido.

Re: DynaForms perfomance

Posted by Dan Allen <da...@mojavelinux.com>.
> Usually *lots* cheaper than paying your developers the extra hours
> it takes to build the standard form beans.

Amen to that!

Dan

Daniel Allen, <da...@mojavelinux.com>
http://www.mojavelinux.com/

Re: DynaForms perfomance

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Guido wrote:

> Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 12:20:41 +0200
> From: Guido <gu...@ribera.tel.uva.es>
> To: struts-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: DynaForms perfomance
>
> Is there any perfomance comparation "DynaActionForms vs ActionForms"?
> What is the penalty of using Dyna ones (perfomance and other drawbacks)?

Examining the source :-) will tell you that DynaActionForm uses a HashMap
to store the current values of all the properties, so the getters and
setters do take a little longer to run that getters and setters that just
refer to an instance variable of the bean class.

However, this is pretty unlikely to have any practical impact on response
time of a web application.  Nearly always, the database is the biggest
consumer of time, and the network is second -- the difference we are
talking about is a tiny amount of CPU time, and adding CPU capacity to an
app is generally pretty cheap.  Usually *lots* cheaper than paying your
developers the extra hours it takes to build the standard form beans.

> Thank you,
> Guido.

Craig