Posted to dev@stratos.apache.org by Lahiru Sandaruwan <la...@wso2.com> on 2014/09/17 10:58:57 UTC

Wording at Docker-Kubenetes implementation

Hi guys,

Thought of bring $subject into discussion. AFAIU we are using Kubenetes to
manage docker hosts. So i think we should use docker hosts instead of
Kubenetes host.

Wdyt?

Thanks.

Lahiru Sandaruwan
Committer and PMC member, Apache Stratos,
Senior Software Engineer,
WSO2 Inc., http://wso2.com
lean.enterprise.middleware

email: lahirus@wso2.com cell: (+94) 773 325 954
blog: http://lahiruwrites.blogspot.com/
twitter: http://twitter.com/lahirus

Re: Wording at Docker-Kubenetes implementation

Posted by Nguyen Anh Tu <tu...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 12:48 AM, Nirmal Fernando <ni...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> This is not entirely true. We have to admit that we gonna bind to
> Kubernetes like we are bound to Jclouds.
>
> And what we really manage here is not direct docker instances but
> Kubernetes entities such as Pods, replication controllers etc.
>
> Hence, I'm -0.

So do I. Stratos is going to manage Kubernetes, not particular Docker hosts.

0 for me.

--Tuna

Re: Wording at Docker-Kubenetes implementation

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 7:58 PM, Lahiru Sandaruwan <la...@wso2.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 5:34 PM, Akila Ravihansa Perera <
> ravihansa@wso2.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Lahiru,
>>
>> Thanks for bringing this up. The wording is bit confusing right now.
>> We have referenced the same concept using different terms in different
>> components. I think we should come to a mutual agreement on using
>> these terms.
>>
>> +1 for using the term Docker hosts instead of Kubernetes host.
>> Kubernetes is only an external entity that manage the life-cycle of
>> containers for Stratos. We should be able to replace Kubernetes with
>> some other technology with ease if the necessity arrives.
>>

> This is not entirely true. We have to admit that we gonna bind to
Kubernetes like we are bound to Jclouds.

And what we really manage here is not direct docker instances but
Kubernetes entities such as Pods, replication controllers etc.

Hence, I'm -0.

> Exactly what i also thought.
>

>> I think we should rename Cluster Monitors in a meaningful way as well.
>> The name should reflect the nature of the function. For eg - we
>> currently have ClusterMonitor and LbClusterMonitor,
>> DockerClusterMonitor in AS. It's better if we rename them in a better
>> way.
>>

> hmm. Normal cluster monitor is the one we need a name. Raj and i talked
> but could not think of. Everyone is welcome to suggest a name :)
>
> Thanks.
>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 2:28 PM, Lahiru Sandaruwan <la...@wso2.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi guys,
>> >
>> > Thought of bring $subject into discussion. AFAIU we are using Kubenetes
>> > manage docker hosts. So i think we should use docker hosts instead of
>> > Kubenetes host.
>> >
>> > Wdyt?
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> >
>> > --
>> > --
>> > Lahiru Sandaruwan
>> > Committer and PMC member, Apache Stratos,
>> > Senior Software Engineer,
>> > WSO2 Inc., http://wso2.com
>> > lean.enterprise.middleware
>> >
>> > email: lahirus@wso2.com cell: (+94) 773 325 954
>> > blog: http://lahiruwrites.blogspot.com/
>> > twitter: http://twitter.com/lahirus
>> > linked-in: http://lk.linkedin.com/pub/lahiru-sandaruwan/16/153/146
>> >

>> --
>> Akila Ravihansa Perera
>> Software Engineer, WSO2
>>
>> Blog: http://ravihansa3000.blogspot.com

> Lahiru Sandaruwan
> Committer and PMC member, Apache Stratos,
> Senior Software Engineer,
> WSO2 Inc., http://wso2.com
> lean.enterprise.middleware
>
> email: lahirus@wso2.com cell: (+94) 773 325 954
> blog: http://lahiruwrites.blogspot.com/
> twitter: http://twitter.com/lahirus

Best Regards,
Nirmal

Nirmal Fernando.
Senior Software Engineer, WSO2 Inc.

Blog: http://nirmalfdo.blogspot.com/

Re: Wording at Docker-Kubenetes implementation

Posted by Lahiru Sandaruwan <la...@wso2.com>.

Posted by Akila Ravihansa Perera <ra...@wso2.com>.
Hi Lahiru,