Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Asensio, Rodrigo" <ro...@gilbarco.com> on 2006/09/05 22:14:39 UTC

max memory..

Hello guys

tomcat 5517
java 1508
win 2003 server

I have available 4 gb of ram memory into the server. My tomcat is
running with 1024 mb right now.
Before start to optimize my functions :D , can I move to 2048mb without
any problem ?
memory settings has always to be pow of 2 ?

thanks
Rodrigo

Rodrigo Asensio
Fuel Management Services
Gilbarco Veeder Root
phone: +1 336 547 5023
email: rodrigo.asensio@gilbarco.com
<ma...@gilbarco.com>

immediately.

Re: max memory..

Posted by Andrew Miehs <an...@2sheds.de>.
I discovered no difference in performance between running 1 tomcat, or 4
tomcats on the one machine - same performance.

The machine was a 4x Opteron 870 with 8GB RAM, running Java 1.5.6 32bit.

Andrew

Re: max memory..

Posted by Leon Rosenberg <ro...@googlemail.com>.
Boris, search the archives, Chrales once gava a detailed answer on this topic.
Short version:
until you have > 8 processors you shouldn't worry about the garbage collector.
If you have >8 you should set the number of garbage collection threads
accordingly.

leon

Re: max memory..

Posted by Boris Unckel <bo...@gmx.net>.
Hello,

Re: max memory..

Posted by Nikita Tovstoles <ni...@doppelganger.com>.
There would be no adverse effect on garbage collection (i.e. longer GC
times) when moving from max heap of 1gb to 4gb?

-nikita

Re: max memory..

Posted by Leon Rosenberg <ro...@googlemail.com>.

Re: max memory..

Posted by anjan bacchu <an...@gmail.com>.
can I move to 2048mb without any problem ? SURE, YES

4 GB RAM -- did you tune the BOOT.INI setting to use the /3GB setting so
that the
user process address space goes to 3 GB(from 2 GB default) ?

related things for performance :
are you using the APR extension ?

how about tweaking the server.xml threads, max settings ?

does your server use virtual memory ? I have seen better memory when no
virtual memory is used.

BR,
~A

--