Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Leif W <wa...@usa.net> on 2003/10/04 14:52:42 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] [OT] BBC NEWS REPORT

Well, first I'd probably suggest putting an [OT] or [Off Topic] notice in
the subject, as it's not Apache related.  ;-)  Second, I don't really want
to encourage off-topic posts, but I can tell the subject seemed really
important to you, enough to risk getting banned in order to raise awareness.
Third, your post stirred up lot of negative feelings but didn't provide URLs
to other news articles or organizations focussed on this topic, nor did it
suggest any firm courses of action besides boycotting Sun because they
banned you from a list.  Fourth, boycotting Sun in and of itself seems only
to serve as a personal vendetta for you, and not serve to help those in need
across the globe.  Fifth, I think you'd need more solid proof and hard
evidence and documentation before calling people Nazis or Nazi-like in a
public forum, (like following a trail of money and resources, i.e. does Sun
heavily rely upon Hindu programmers in India?), as it could be construed as
libel and lead to legal troubles.  Sixth, the world IMHO is often a crappy
place and people often can only survive by tuning out the crappy stuff
(chosing not to be aware), otherwise they get unhappy and upset about things
they have little or no control over anyways.  Seventh, raising awareness on
a technical channel may be an even more extreme example than the sixth
comment, where people tune out everything good or bad and focus only on
technical matters, such that it might be exceedingly difficult to raise the
level of awareness, and often will be met with a STFU (shut up) attitude and
ignored, so you have to be mindful of that before making your attempt to
raise awareness, and be prepared to not take it personally.  Eigth, putting
all this together, I think you could probably put together a more effective
campaign to raise awareness about this disturbing issue.

Hope that helps,

Leif

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Sat, 4 Oct 2003, Leif W wrote:

> Well, first I'd probably suggest putting an [OT] or [Off Topic] notice in
> the subject, as it's not Apache related.  ;-)  Second, I don't really want
> to encourage off-topic posts, but I can tell the subject seemed really
> important to you, enough to risk getting banned in order to raise awareness.

I highly recommend that you not respond to flamebait like this.  If you do
wish to respond, please do it via person email, rather than on the list.

Thanks.

Joshua.