Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Sivananda Reddy <si...@gmail.com> on 2015/07/17 18:35:46 UTC

New producer in production

Hi,

Kafka document ion says that the new producer is in Beta state, how safe is
it to use the new producer in production?. This is the first time I am
using Kafka for my application messaging needs. Please let me know.

Thank you,
Siva.

Re: New producer in production

Posted by yuto sasaki <ye...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Is there any progress on this doc bug?
This discourages us from using the new producer.

Thanks

Posted by Sivananda Reddy <si...@gmail.com>.
Hi James,

Thanks for the info. For my use case I have a custom partition key
assignment to the producers.

Regards,
Siva.

Posted by James Cheng <jc...@tivo.com>.

Posted by Sivananda Reddy <si...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jay,

Posted by James Cheng <jc...@tivo.com>.

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@confluent.io>.
Hey Sivananda,

Posted by Joel Koshy <jj...@gmail.com>.
It is pretty safe :) and adopting it now will save you the trouble
of migrating later.

At LinkedIn, we are using the new producer for all the producers that
the Kafka team directly own - this means mirror-maker pipelines, REST
proxies and some auditing tools. We have not yet migrated other
producers, but will likely proceed with that after
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-2120 is done. That is
probably not an extremely critical issue though if your Kafka
deployments are smaller and do not have hardware failures as often as
ours (which is mainly because we just happen to have so many brokers
some of which are just older machines).

Thanks,

Joel