Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Giacomo Pati <Gi...@pwr.ch> on 2000/06/01 00:49:36 UTC

WAR file

I've updated the CVS to get the build system create a cocoon.war by
default. Please could someone with a win$ system check if the
installation instruction for the tomcat installation works.

Giacomo

RE: WAR file

Posted by David Duddleston <da...@i2a.com>.
It is part of the 2.2 API.

-david

Re: WAR file

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@infoplanning.com>.

Re: WAR file

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@simba.pwr.ch>.
On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 08:24:17PM +0200, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Since we are targetting Cocoon2 for Servlet 2.2, I think we should just
> use WAR and forget about anything else.
>
> What do you think?

+1 for me.

Giacomo

Re: WAR file

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Giacomo Pati wrote:

> David Duddleston wrote:
> >
> > It worked good for me. Good job Giacomo!
>
> Thank you.
>

> > It would be nice to automate things even a little more. We can take
> > advantage of ServletContext.getRealPath("cocoon.xconf") which should point
> > to the Web Application docBase and thus figure out the location of the
> > confige file without have to set it in the web.xml file. Also should fix it
> > so that cocoon.xconf can be located in the WEB-INF folder without throwing
> > everything off (separate issue).
>
> This goes somehow against the current sitemap proposal. As I've
> understood it the sitemap (or cocoon.xconf) must be in the root of the
> directory served by cocoon 2.

Well, I agree. But in this case, we need to make cocoon.xconf something
else. (Cocoon2 needs general configurations that are normally never
changed on a sitemap basis but they should not be compiled-in, core
things like logging and such).

Anyway, each sitemap should reside on the directory it describes (the
sitemap is metadata so should be local to the data it describes).

Of course, Cocoon will by default avoid serving the sitemap to clients
like regular XML files. You have to allow that explicitly (like you do
for Apache .htaccess files) .... but these are just implementation
details.

> > Also: Might want to add <load-on-start>... I added it
>
> Why?
>
> > Also: Should the war file be cocoon.war or cocoon2.war
>
> Yes, I thought about it and decided to use the same name as the jar
> file.

Since we are targetting Cocoon2 for Servlet 2.2, I think we should just
use WAR and forget about anything else.

What do you think?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

RE: WAR file

Posted by David Duddleston <da...@i2a.com>.
> This goes somehow against the current sitemap proposal. As I've
> understood it the sitemap (or cocoon.xconf) must be in the root of the
> directory served by cocoon 2.

OK

> > Also: Might want to add <load-on-start>... I added it
>
> Why?

Just a thought. I prefer having it load-on-start and thought maybe this
could be added to the web.xml? Like a said... just a thought.

Re: WAR file

Posted by Giacomo Pati <Gi...@pwr.ch>.

RE: WAR file

Posted by David Duddleston <da...@i2a.com>.
It worked good for me. Good job Giacomo!

It would be nice to automate things even a little more. We can take
advantage of ServletContext.getRealPath("cocoon.xconf") which should point
to the Web Application docBase and thus figure out the location of the
confige file without have to set it in the web.xml file.  Also should fix it
so that cocoon.xconf can be located in the WEB-INF folder without throwing
everything off (separate issue).

Also: Might want to add <load-on-start>... I added it

<web-app>
 <servlet>
  <servlet-name>Cocoon2</servlet-name>
  <servlet-class>org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet</servlet-class>
  <init-param>
   <param-name>configurations</param-name>
   <!-- CHANGE PATH BELOW -->
   <param-value>/cocoon.xconf</param-value>
   <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
  </init-param>
 </servlet>
 <servlet-mapping>
  <servlet-name>Cocoon2</servlet-name>
  <url-pattern>/</url-pattern>
 </servlet-mapping>
</web-app>

Re: WAR file

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@simba.pwr.ch>.
On Sat, Jun 03, 2000 at 01:31:11AM +0200, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Giacomo Pati wrote:
> >
> > David Duddleston wrote:
> > >
> > > Just let me know what you think are reasonable ideas and I will help
> > > implement it.
> >
> > First I think we have to make Cocoon 2 use the Context.getRealPath()
> > everywhere a resource is allocated.
>
> we should try to use getResource() and no real paths at all.

Maybe better!

> > nd after that the XSP problem has to be solved.
>
> I think this is solvable by loading the compiler with a custom
> classloader. The problem is that this would break compiler abstraction
> (means: forget about Jikes compilation!)

Even if I don't understand it in detail I can live with that. Others, too?

Giacomo

Re: WAR file

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@simba.pwr.ch>.
On Sat, Jun 03, 2000 at 03:51:29PM -0700, David Duddleston wrote:

> > > getResource is the most flexible but getRealPath should work
> > just fine in
> > > most cases.
> > >
> > > What do you think.
> >
> > getResource() works always (i.e. even if your servlet engine is
> > clustered and the actual file doesn't reside on the disk), getRealPath()
> > doesn't.
> >
> > Sure, tomcat doesn't make use of clustered enviornments very well, but
> > this may not be the case in the future.
> >
> > Just consider this when you evaluate the two.
> >
> > (I myself proposed to deprecate getRealPath() in the servlet expert
> > group but got rejected)
>
> I guess that settles it then! getResource() is just cooler anyways ;-)
>
> Is the idea still to get the cocoon.xconf in the /cocoon/WEB-INF/ folder,
> yet still have the site work relative to the root docBase for the Cocoon Web
> App?

I'm working on a proposal which will come soon. It will take care of stuff from the current sitemap discussion, too.

Giacomo

Re: WAR file

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
David Duddleston wrote:

> > > getResource is the most flexible but getRealPath should work
> > just fine in
> > > most cases.
> > >
> > > What do you think.
> >
> > getResource() works always (i.e. even if your servlet engine is
> > clustered and the actual file doesn't reside on the disk), getRealPath()
> > doesn't.
> >
> > Sure, tomcat doesn't make use of clustered enviornments very well, but
> > this may not be the case in the future.
> >
> > Just consider this when you evaluate the two.
> >
> > (I myself proposed to deprecate getRealPath() in the servlet expert
> > group but got rejected)
>
> I guess that settles it then! getResource() is just cooler anyways ;-)
>
> Is the idea still to get the cocoon.xconf in the /cocoon/WEB-INF/ folder,
> yet still have the site work relative to the root docBase for the Cocoon Web
> App?

I'm +0 on this.

Whatever you guys like more...

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

RE: WAR file

Posted by David Duddleston <da...@i2a.com>.

Re: WAR file

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

RE: WAR file

Posted by David Duddleston <da...@i2a.com>.

RE: WAR file

Posted by David Duddleston <da...@i2a.com>.
> I think this is solvable by loading the compiler with a custom
> classloader. The problem is that this would break compiler abstraction
> (means: forget about Jikes compilation!)

You would think that it is possible. Might take some extra configuration
from the users stand point. Setting up a path to Jikes and making sure the
rt.lib and other important stuff gets included into the classpath. Hmmm,
more config params...

-david

Re: WAR file

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

RE: WAR file

Posted by David Duddleston <da...@i2a.com>.
> First I think we have to make Cocoon 2 use the Context.getRealPath()
> everywhere a resource is allocated.

OK. Sounds good. I'm going to spend some quality time with Cocoon 2 this
weekend and see what steps need to be done to do this. You will probably do
the same I assume?

> nd after that the XSP problem has to be solved.

If we can use Java 1.2 then we can plan on getting this fixed and keeping
XSP as a core package, otherwise we see about possibly moving it out to a
seperate package?

-david

Re: WAR file

Posted by Giacomo Pati <Gi...@pwr.ch>.

RE: WAR file

Posted by David Duddleston <da...@i2a.com>.

Re: WAR file

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@simba.pwr.ch>.
On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 02:09:50PM -0700, David Duddleston wrote:
> > > Hey, this is pre-alpha software and I know there is much to be done. We
> > > know some functionality does not work as expected so please be patient
> > > with us. We first have to materialize the sitemap proposal to know how
> > > things should realy work.
> >
> > Right, don't start asking for polished things before even we have an
> > alpha release, ok? It makes it easier for everyone (anyway, help is
> > always appreciated)
>
> Right... but hey I was not asking but just suggesting ideas to think about
> ;-)

Ok, I've set them on my list :)

Re: WAR file

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Giacomo Pati wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 08:27:03PM +0200, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> > Giacomo Pati wrote:
> > >
> > > If someone can point me to how this can be achieved I'll do it! But now
> > > I have no idea how we can solve that problem (because I don't have that
> > > much knowledge about java internals)
> >
> > It's almost trivial on Java 1.2, almost impossible on Java 1.1.
> >
> > Again, should we target for Java 1.2? The BSD folks will kill me :)
>
> Is Tomcat targeted on Java 1.2?

I don't know... doesn't seem to me anyway... (but I'll better ask)

> Is servlet 2.2 targeted on Jav 1.2?

So, but Servlet 2.3 (due 1Q2001) will.

> Thn we should target on java 1.2!!

I'm starting to think so too.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: WAR file

Posted by Mike Engelhart <me...@earthtrip.com>.
on 6/1/00 2:12 PM, Giacomo Pati at giacomo@simba.pwr.ch wrote:

> Is Tomcat targeted on Java 1.2? Is servlet 2.2 targeted on Jav 1.2? Thn we
> should target on java 1.2!!
>
> Giacomo
Servlet 2.2 is Java 1.1.x and so is Tomcat

Mike

Re: WAR file

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@simba.pwr.ch>.

Re: WAR file

Posted by Giacomo Pati <Gi...@pwr.ch>.
David Duddleston wrote:

> > > Right... but hey I was not asking but just suggesting ideas to
> > think about
> > > ;-)
> > >
> > > And yes, I can help out and make those changes if agreed on.
> > Just trying to
> > > help... really!
> >
> > Sorry, David, that was rude and I apologize.
> >
> > Anyway, the code is there, if you see something you don't like and feel
> > you can do it, I say, give it a go. All of us will love if more and more
> > people followed your example :)
>
> Thanks! I feel much more welcome now ;-)
>
> I'm slowly digging through the code trying to get an idea on how it all
> works, so hopefuly I will be able to contribute at some point. For now, I
> could help out on real easy stuff like helping Giacomo put together a WAR
> file. It would be so cool if we could get it to the point where no
> configuration was needed.
> Just drop the cocoon.war file in the Tomcat
> webapps dir, restart and there you go ;-) Of course there are several issues
> that need to be solved for this to happen, but we can at least try right ;-)

I would appreciate that VERY much. Bit the main problem remains the fact
that XSP cannot work out of the WEB-INF/lib dirs (for what reason). I'm
still waiting someone with real knowledge in that area explains how it
can be achieved.

Many Thanks in advance, Giacomo

Re: WAR file

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
David Duddleston wrote:

> > > Right... but hey I was not asking but just suggesting ideas to
> > think about
> > > ;-)
> > >
> > > And yes, I can help out and make those changes if agreed on.
> > Just trying to
> > > help... really!
> >
> > Sorry, David, that was rude and I apologize.
> >
> > Anyway, the code is there, if you see something you don't like and feel
> > you can do it, I say, give it a go. All of us will love if more and more
> > people followed your example :)
>
> Thanks! I feel much more welcome now ;-)
>
> I'm slowly digging through the code trying to get an idea on how it all
> works, so hopefuly I will be able to contribute at some point. For now, I
> could help out on real easy stuff like helping Giacomo put together a WAR
> file. It would be so cool if we could get it to the point where no
> configuration was needed. Just drop the cocoon.war file in the Tomcat
> webapps dir, restart and there you go ;-) Of course there are several issues
> that need to be solved for this to happen, but we can at least try right ;-)

I'd seriously love to be able to do that.

I admit I'm still scared by the Cocoon installation myself, and this is
no good even if I tried to make it as simple as possible (in fact, you
can drop it in without changing the cocoon.properties on most systems).

The problem is modifying all the other stuff...

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

RE: WAR file

Posted by David Duddleston <da...@i2a.com>.

Re: WAR file

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

RE: WAR file

Posted by David Duddleston <da...@i2a.com>.

Re: WAR file

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Giacomo Pati wrote:

> David Duddleston wrote:
> >
> > Oh 3 more suggestions
> >
> > 1: The XSP repository directory could default to WEB-INF/tmp/repository.
> > Once again taking advantage of getRealPath()
>
> Yup!
>

> > 2: If we could figure out a way to _NOT_ have to have all the .jar files in
> > the Tomcat path, then we could have a very clean Cocoon2 Web Application and
> > it should be truely plug and play.
>
> If someone can point me to how this can be achieved I'll do it! But now
> I have no idea how we can solve that problem (because I don't have that
> much knowledge about java internals)

It's almost trivial on Java 1.2, almost impossible on Java 1.1.

Again, should we target for Java 1.2? The BSD folks will kill me :)

> > Anyways, this is due to XSP compilation
> > right?
>
> Yes.
>
> > I'm assuming that even user created classes and other library classes
> > that are are called (import my.java.SomeClass) within an XSP pages will also
> > need to be included in the Tomcat class path?
>
> Also yes.

Same as above.

Re: WAR file

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@simba.pwr.ch>.
On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 10:27:57AM -0700, David Duddleston wrote:

> > > 3: Have an entry in sitemap for "/" with links to /hello and
> > > /simple-page.xsp, plus have the page state that all URLs must
> > have an entry
> > > in the sitemap to function.
> >
> > Hey, this is pre-alpha software and I know there is much to be done. We
> > know some functionality does not work as expected so please be patient
> > with us. We first have to materialize the sitemap proposal to know how
> > things should realy work.
>
> Sorry. Just making suggestions based on previous C2 installation questions.
> Like... "I entered http://host/cocoon/ and it told me it can't find the
> resource xyz".

I wouldn't be offensive but I think we are doing stuff too far beond the current status of cocoon2. I know http://host/cocoon/ isn't working. So what! It is indeed incomplete. And we all should know this. That's why we cannot make an incomplete system work correctly.

I think we fight agains sympthoms but we have to eliminate the cause.

Giacomo

RE: WAR file

Posted by David Duddleston <da...@i2a.com>.
> > 3: Have an entry in sitemap for "/" with links to /hello and
> > /simple-page.xsp, plus have the page state that all URLs must
> have an entry
> > in the sitemap to function.
>
> Hey, this is pre-alpha software and I know there is much to be done. We
> know some functionality does not work as expected so please be patient
> with us. We first have to materialize the sitemap proposal to know how
> things should realy work.

Sorry. Just making suggestions based on previous C2 installation questions.
Like... "I entered http://host/cocoon/ and it told me it can't find the
resource xyz".

Anyway, no big deal.

-david

Re: WAR file

Posted by Giacomo Pati <Gi...@pwr.ch>.

RE: WAR file

Posted by David Duddleston <da...@i2a.com>.
Oh 3 more suggestions

1: The XSP repository directory could default to WEB-INF/tmp/repository.
Once again taking advantage of getRealPath()

2: If we could figure out a way to _NOT_ have to have all the .jar files in
the Tomcat path, then we could have a very clean Cocoon2 Web Application and
it should be truely plug and play. Anyways, this is due to XSP compilation
right? I'm assuming that even user created classes and other library classes
that are are called (import my.java.SomeClass) within an XSP pages will also
need to be included in the Tomcat class path? Just a guess, I don't know
much about XSP.

RE: WAR file

Posted by David Duddleston <da...@i2a.com>.
OK, I'll check it out...