Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Manish Kutaula <ma...@tcs.com> on 2011/06/14 13:10:24 UTC

Storing conference room details, advice needed

Hi,

i have a requirement that i have to store conference room details in
apacheds server. For this i have created a new object class and attributes
to store the details of conference room which are:

roomName:
capacity:
availability:
location:
description
building
floor

I have one more requirement in which i have to store the resources of
conference room i.e. audio/video facility, speaker phone, bridge etc.
how can i store these resources, one possible solution can be that i make
a resource type attribute and make it multi-valued and store the values in
it.

Finally, i have to retrieve the data from apacheds server and generate a
xml for it.

what can be the most practical solution for it. any quick ideas will be
helpful.

Thanks,
--Manish Kutaula
=====-----=====-----=====
and any attachments. Thank you

Re: Storing conference room details, advice needed

Posted by Manish Kutaula <ma...@tcs.com>.
Thanks a lot jim,
that was really very helpful.

I wish I could buy you a beer, great sir
Cheers!!

From:
Jim Willeke <ji...@willeke.com>
To:
users@directory.apache.org
Date:
06/15/2011 04:27 PM
Re: Storing conference room details, advice needed

A an example, assume we have a conference roomName: sabertooth
DN: roomName=saberTooth, floor=3, building=U8,
ou=buildings, ou=butler,o=willeke
roomName: saberTooth
capacity: 221
availability: active
location: somewhere
building: U8
floor: 3
resources: cn=scanner,ou=resources, ou=butler,o=willeke
resources: cn=projector,ou=resources, ou=butler,o=willeke

We also have a resource:

DN: cn=scanner,ou=resources, ou=butler,o=willeke

cn: scanner

location: roomName=saberTooth, floor=3, building=U8,
ou=buildings, ou=butler,o=willeke

networkAddress: 192.168.4.5

 ou: butler

 o: willeke

owner: cn=jim,ou=butler,o=willeke

serialNumber: X345YD

The location on the resource could be a reciprocal attribute to the
resources attribute on the conference room.
This allows knowing where the resources are by viewing the resource and
what
resources are in the room by viewing the conference room.

A perhaps better method would be to only use the location on the resource
and then a query (location=roomName=saberTooth, floor=3, building=U8,
ou=buildings, ou=butler,o=willeke) form an appropriate searchBase would
show
all the resources assigned to the room.

The construction of schema frameworks such as this is very similar to the
construction of a proper database schema. Both of which is a bit of a mix
of
science, art, and experience.

-jim
Jim Willeke

Posted by Jim Willeke <ji...@willeke.com>.

Posted by Manish Kutaula <ma...@tcs.com>.
Hi jim,

I didnot get the idea of making each resource as a objectClass. Having a
multi-valued attribute in conference class to hold the resources is fine.

Manish Kutaula

From:
Jim Willeke <ji...@willeke.com>
To:
users@directory.apache.org
Date:
06/14/2011 07:39 PM

Posted by Jim Willeke <ji...@willeke.com>.
Without a lot of details as to how your specific operation works, I think I

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
On 6/14/11 1:10 PM, Manish Kutaula wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i have a requirement that i have to store conference room details in
> apacheds server. For this i have created a new object class and attributes
> to store the details of conference room which are:
>
> roomName:
> capacity:
> availability:
> location:
> description
> building
> floor
>
> I have one more requirement in which i have to store the resources of
> conference room i.e. audio/video facility, speaker phone, bridge etc.
> how can i store these resources, one possible solution can be that i make
> a resource type attribute and make it multi-valued and store the values in
> it.
>
> Finally, i have to retrieve the data from apacheds server and generate a
> xml for it.
>
> what can be the most practical solution for it. any quick ideas will be
> helpful.

Well, any LDAP tutorial should give you some hints about how to deal
with such requirements...

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com