Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com> on 2014/01/24 09:54:41 UTC

Rendering Latex Snippets using XSL-FO and FOP

Hi

I recently learned about

http://www.mathjax.org/

which is a great library to render Latex snippets inside HTML. See for
example the abstract contained by

http://projecteuclid.org/euclid.aos/1388545673

I would like to do the "same" thing with PDF, which means I have an XML
containing Latex snippets, e.g.

We study sparse principal components analysis in high dimensions, where
$p$ (the number of variables) can be much larger than $n$ (the number of
observations), and analyze the problem of estimating the subspace
spanned by the principal eigenvectors of the population covariance
matrix. We introduce two complementary notions of $\ell_{q}$ subspace
sparsity: row sparsity and column sparsity. We prove nonasymptotic lower
and upper bounds on the minimax subspace estimation error for $0\leq
q\leq1$. The bounds are optimal for row sparse subspaces and nearly
optimal for column sparse subspaces, they apply to general classes of
covariance matrices, and they show that $\ell_{q}$ constrained estimates
can achieve optimal minimax rates without restrictive spiked covariance
conditions. Interestingly, the form of the rates matches known results
for sparse regression when the effective noise variance is defined
appropriately. Our proof employs a novel variational $\sin\Theta$
theorem that may be useful in other regularized spectral estimation
problems.

and then I would like to use XSL-FO and FOP to generate PDF.

Is that possible somehow? Or any other ideas how I could generate such a
PDF?

Thanks

Michael

Re: Rendering Latex Snippets using XSL-FO and FOP

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Thanks very much for your hint/link

Michael

Posted by Jan Tosovsky <j....@email.cz>.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
I guess the other possibility is to generate Latex itself (instead
XSL-FO) and then use something like for example

http://www.nixo-soft.de/tutorials/jlr/JLRTutorial.html
http://www.nixo-soft.de/de/category/Downloads/page/libs/JavaLatexReport.php

Another project I have found is

http://forge.scilab.org/index.php/p/jlatexmath/

which seems to generate images, which can be used together with FOP.

I guess the more "brutal" way is to install and call pdflatex (once the
latex has been generated) from within Java:

http://tex.stackexchange.com/a/41633

Thanks

Michael

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.